Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m looking to get some help I’ve had a 15-22 for about 2 years now and never really had any problems, fired just about all kinds of rounds through it.
Recently the gun starting to have failure to eject issues, after cleaning and adjusting ejector the gun ran fine. Then all of the sudden I started getting light primer strikes and absolutely no rounds fired. I went ahead and stripped the upper and lower as well as the bolt to clean everything up and inspect the extractor and ejector.
Range day came and couldn’t get a round off. I went ahead and ordered the tandemkross extractor just to see if it would help all with the failure to extract issue in the future, along with putting on a new hand guard (using the tacticool22 adapter and free float mlok) and a drop in rise trigger with anti walk pins. Put some dummy rounds in and the hammer dropped and I was able to easily pull the bolt back and extract the dummy rounds. However when I got to the range the gun would only light strike the rounds. Even put some of the rounds in my TX22 and it fired them flawlessly.
So do I get a new firing pin next? Find a whole new bolt group or is there another route?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds to me like the chamber might not be completely clean. Try dropping a loaded round into the chamber and see if it seats completely. If not and the round is staying just a bit out of being completely seated then part of the firing pin strike may be being "used" to finish seating the cartridge in the chamber. I like to use a 25 caliber brush to clean the chamber (only). In extreme cases I have used a drill with the cleaning rod and brush to finish cleaning "crud" out of a chamber. A few drops of good gun oil helps the cleaning process also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Check the firing pin to make sure it isn't damaged or broken.

In my experience 15-22 firing pin's mean time before failure is aprx. 15,000 rounds. With that said, I have seen them break with only 4000 fired and last as much as 24,000.

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
I have to ask, have you ever dry fired it? reason I ask is because, unlike a center fire with a centered firing pin, a rimfire firing pin can contact the side of the chamber if dry fired and that will deform the firing pin and cause FTF's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts