Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several .38/.357 caliber pistols and am thinking of adding a a lever gun in the same caliber. I was hoping some of y’all might offer some advice as to which carbines to avoid or purchase. Marlin, Henry Uberti look good , but I was hoping to stay well under $1000. Used would be the way to go,I think. Any words of wisdom? Thanks, Hank.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Picked up a Marlin 1894 CSBL new last year. Stainless, grayish wood, 16 inch, big loop. Probably should have checked out Henry’s offerings but I thought this one was pretty sweet looking and the shop gave me more than I expected on a 9mm trade towards it so I was all tickled. They run about a G note +- Only had it out a couple of times but I like it so far. It has rear “Peep” sight which I hear some people don’t like but works for me. Also has a rail like an AR to mount a sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
I have an EMF Hartford 92 and like it a bunch (they're not real common). It's made by Rossi, but a bit fancier (and more costly).

I've heard good things about the Marlin.........in fact, I have one in a different caliber (32-20)

Keep in mind that the Henry has a front loading tube magazine which may or may not mean anything to you..........just be aware that there is an operating difference (maybe preferable or not).

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! There are several offerings, and my experience in this arena is severely limited. I was interested in the Rossi because of the price vs the Henry/ Marlin.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
highly recommend a lever 38/357, really a fun gun and great cartridge in a lever.. - have a marlin in 357 and a couple of rimfire Henry's - would recommend both brands. Some of Henry's newer guns have the sideloader now..

i know that if you are a left handed shooter, some dont like the Marlins and their ejection but mine is an outstanding rifle ..

Marlin_02.JPG
Marlin_03.JPG
Marlin_01.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Consider also........top eject, angle eject and side eject. Different lever guns have some different attributes, which do you prefer.....straight stock or pistol grip? How 'bout barrel length? I'm just givin ya food for thought so you can make your best decision.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
I have the Henry Silver in 357 Mag, Henry Big Boy in 41 Mag, Henry 22 LR, and Henry 45 Colt and all were ready to shoot right out the box. Have had them about 2-3 years and no issues with any. Would not hesitate another. Anthony Imperato, their owner personally answered my letter and sent me the 41 Mag and is very personable. Their customer service is outstanding too.
Henry 1.jpg
IMG_3795.JPG
IMG_3706.JPG
thumbnail1.jpg

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I’ve got a Winchester branded 73 and the Chiappa model 92. Both are reliable and fun to shoot. For optimum accuracy you might consider the Ruger 77-357 bolt action with a solid scope. After some work on loads mine will keep 2” groups at 100 yards.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think my next gun will be a lever action 357 magnum. I only have one, and it's one of my favorite rifles, but my youngest son has kinda took it over and when he gets a gun safe, I'll probably gift it to him. So, I need another lever action and I'm not necessarily tied to 30-30. I love the 357 magnum cartridge and I'll bet you can really make it dance coming out of that longer barrel.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I had a Marlin that was a good gun in every way but 1, when shooting prone you have to lean one way or the other a little to work the action. If you lean right it ejected the fired case & dumped the fresh one out behind it. Absolute deal breaker to me, it went away. My Winchester 94 Trapper .45 will feed in any position... I even tried it upside down just for snickers & giggles. I really like my Henry .22 magnum, I'd look hard @ Henry. .357 w/ 180 grain bullets out of a carbine are pretty close to .30-30 ballistics.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Rossi 92 here. Eats anything .38 sp or .357. Do have to be a bit more deliberate racking the 38's into chamber. Buckhorn sights we're hard to use thru progressive lens glasses. installed a Marbles Bullseye ($20). They sell for around $500 - $550.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I agree with Spuds above. I have a Rossi R92 in stainless. The main reason I went with the Rossi is its reputation for shooting either 38 spl or .357 Magnums interchangeably. This reputation was well earned and proven in the Cowboy Circuit. The action is faster than the Henry and has traditional side gate loading. The action though not perfect came from the factory smoother than my Marlin Cowboy in .45-70. After some shooting I did polish the action flats and tracks and now it is silky smooth. It has never jammed or had a misfeed on me. Here is some pics;

0298DA35-D01A-4E91-A374-047DEE3373F2.jpeg

AA42A60A-AB4E-475A-8D28-D1C4BB0F4329.jpeg

0D4E692B-C8A8-455C-BAD2-E3A6370289C7.jpeg

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
PS - I thought I would include a pic of my Marlin 1895 Cowboy .45-70 with a ten shot 24” octagonal barrel. Marlin had some QC problems for a while but this one is from the period after they fixed most of those issues. Fit and finish is very good. Not perfect but excellent for the price point. It’s not a $2,000 gun but it is an accurate and great shooter.

25501777-F864-47F8-851C-294934AD49B5.jpeg

07109760-3D7E-4CD3-961B-63DD07F6062B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I chose the Henry but I will admit I was smitten by its good looks.

henry n 686.JPG

Got it for about a buck more than $700 OTD. It all depends what you intend to use it for. Mine will primarily be a long sought after range toy and as 100 yd defense against invading zombie hordes. I consistently get 8 rounds in the mag with.357 and one in the pipe. It fires 357 and 38 without issue and cycles likes its on ball bearings. It is far more accurate than I am.

It is tube fed and for a while that was an issue in my head but after owning it ... I cant really say why except maybe we are so accustomed to fast change magazines. 9 shots of 357 at the ready from a long barrel should solve any home defense or hunting need.

I looked hard at the Rossi since it was inexpensive but ... I really wanted something that had better support in the US and .. well I really really like brass!! :)

Having said all that .. if I were going to hump it around in the woods and actually use it for something other than catching drool and making holes in paper I would probably go with the steel version or even the new X model. Tools dont have to be pretty .. although they can be!

Everything about the henry feels solid and well made.

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
The US distributor for Rossi is now Taurus. In case you didn't know.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I think my next gun will be a lever action 357 magnum. I only have one, and it's one of my favorite rifles, but my youngest son has kinda took it over and when he gets a gun safe, I'll probably gift it to him. So, I need another lever action and I'm not necessarily tied to 30-30. I love the 357 magnum cartridge and I'll bet you can really make it dance coming out of that longer barrel.
I’ve been working with 160 gr fp bullets over a high-end load of Hodgdn CFE Pistol. Close to the same external ballistics as 30-30 out ton150 yards or so. Fun round and in my 92 it’s fun to shoot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts