Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a new old stock 5906 and I am curious about the letter "U" that is stamped on the left side of the frame just in front of the S&W roll mark.

The serial number is KMFxxxx if that helps. The only thing I have been able to find so far is that it is possibly an armorer's marking but I would like to confirm and its significance.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently acquired a new old stock 5906 and I am curious about the letter "U" that is stamped on the left side of the frame just in front of the S&W roll mark.

The serial number is KMFxxxx if that helps. The only thing I have been able to find so far is that it is possibly an armorer's marking but I would like to confirm and its significance.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated
My mistake the stamp in on the right side of the frame. Aplogies

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
There is an archived thread on the subject " U " is for used have one on my 5906 right of the trigger pin, I think the serial number starts with KM . Mine was rarely fired no holster wear sticker was missing from case but have all the stuff .
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most likely an inspection stamp. My S&W revolvers also have letters stamped on the grip frame
There is an archived thread on the subject " U " is for used have one on my 5906 right of the trigger pin, I think the serial number starts with KM . Mine was rarely fired no holster wear sticker was missing from case but have all the stuff .
View attachment 488821
Thanks for the information guys. Some of these "NOS" guns showed up on Buds and other sites and I picked one up. Not cheap but I wanted one for my collection. The pistol does appear to be in new unfired condition and the case and label appear "new" as well but I was curious about the stamp. Bud's I think had in their description that they were factory display/demo guns. I got mine off Gunsamerica. One other oddity is the label on the case has a factory printed "?" next to he serial number bar code.

Once again I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 3rd Gens that have been showing up over the last couple of years are likely to be production overruns or guns that were held in reserve as warranty replacements for agencies that were still using them. There were a lot of 5906 and 5946 guns still out there until agencies replaced them with newer guns. Some of them were returned by agencies and never actually issued.

They are stamped U for used and then sold as used, not new. That theoretically allows S&W to refuse to do warranty work on them as even the factory parts stock is pretty low for the 3rd Gens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts