Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a semi auto .40 for almost a year and was ready to jump before the Wuhan but then prices and availability went south. I am glad I waited because I think I did get a nice deal on a gun that wouldn't have been on my radar and is in the price range I am comfortable spending on guns. Its DA/SA which I like since I like all my guns to work in a similar fashion and since I spend a lot of time with Revo's I like that the first pull will be similar.

Now .. its been years since I have owned a .40 and traded off all my ammo so I am going to have to rebuy some defensive stuff. I don't load my own defensive rounds but I am set up to load 10mm so in essence .. except for not having anything but bullets .. I am set up to load .40 FOR THE RANGE.

So .. A little torn on what to get and looking for input. Underwood lists 165 gr going 1200fps with 528 ft lbs . Hmmmm .. Little better than 9mm velocity with a heavier bullet. Sounds pretty good

But is 180 what it was designed for? Underwoods 180 reads 1100fps and 484 ft lbs

Now I realize that it is all relatively academic since getting shot by either is going to suck and while I am no Jerry Michulek my bullets tend to go where i want them. So without the usual ... "its all about shot placement" jazz .. just looking for opinions and discussion on .40 offerings for dispatching Zombies and other miscreants.

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
I would use the 165gr at 1200fps. 9mm can only hit that speed with a 124gr or lighter bullet. The 165gr bullet would be about 25% heavier than a 125gr bullet. I loaded some 155gr XTPs to about 1225fps which is getting close to 357 magnum territory

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
I’m more of a fan of heavy for caliber bullet weights. I used to like the 165 or 180. I’d stay away from the low weight, hyper velocity loads. Other than that, whatever you can find and runs in you Gun, have at it.

·
Super Moderator
31,828 Posts
All of ours are either 165 or 180 grain, mainly 180. Part of that is what is more likely available. We both do prefer the 180 over the 165 when we can get it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be rolling my target ammo with the same 180 gr DG bullets I am using for the 10mm. I am a fan of the coated lead and DG is a great company with fair prices and I have shot THOUSANDS of their bullets. However .. I never roll my own carry ammo so I am trying to decide what to buy that will be used for the apocalypse.

Forester .. I bought a Sig 229 E2. It was one of their Red label factory certified so it comes with a 1 yr factory warranty. I was ready to pull the trigger on a M&P but I really am a fan of DA/SA in semi auto and since my primary carries are Revolver I wont have to worry about safeties or other stuff. At least for the first shot .. it will feel similar to my revolvers.

Cost me $469.00 + 14 to ship and $25 to my favorite FFL.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I stumbled into a S&W M&P 40 cal at a gun show in Fort Worth for $325. Hadn't planned on owning a 40 cal but at that price, why not?

So far, all I've loaded for mine is 180 gr. RNFP and I've also made up some Hornady XTP 180 gr. hollowpoints. Both function good in my gun, and I think 180 gr. is a pretty good round, weight-wise, coming out of my M&P 40.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Don’t have many automatic guns but the .40 I have is a Sig... enjoy

Thewelshm

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
I have loaded a bunch of Xtreme, 180gr plated bullets. Still have about 500 left but next time I place an order I am going to try some 180gr Hi-Tek coated bullets from Summers Enterprises for $80/1000 shipped

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey Jonesy thanks for the heads up. They have some nice prices on that site! Have you been loading up those up for 40, 10mm or both.

Oh and a little PSA in case someone wants to add a .40 cheap

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I've loaded for the .40, usually for a Steyr M40-A1, it's stout. In loading 165gr Golden Sabers, using VihtaVuori 3N38 put these GS bullets over 1250fps, but I dialed the load back to ~1250fps. Through a Beretta M96, MV was ~1300fps and over 1500fps through a Beretta CX4, the CX 4 has a chrome lined 16" barrel. If you want fast MVs with this combination, 3N38 is the way to go. FWIW, 3N38 has a narrow loading window.

3N38 also takes 9mm 147gr to ~1150fps, Gold Dots were unreliable at this velocity while Winchester Silver Tips did...go figure. :)

·
Super Moderator
31,828 Posts
I've loaded for the .40, usually for a Steyr M40-A1, it's stout. In loading 165gr Golden Sabers, using VihtaVuori 3N38 put these GS bullets over 1250fps, but I dialed the load back to ~1250fps. Through a Beretta M96, MV was ~1300fps and over 1500fps through a Beretta CX4, the CX 4 has a chrome lined 16" barrel. If you want fast MVs with this combination, 3N38 is the way to go. FWIW, 3N38 has a narrow loading window.

3N38 also takes 9mm 147gr to ~1150fps, Gold Dots were unreliable at this velocity while Winchester Silver Tips did...go figure. :)
The Steyr M40 here is a favorite, outstanding grip design but admit the triangular sight design takes some getting used to:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob.. that is some .40 with some get up and go!! You seem to like those golden sabres. Might have to get a few.

Wendy .. had the same gun in 9mm. I thought those trapazoidal sights were awesome. Super fast

·
Registered
12,024 Posts
Hey Jonesy thanks for the heads up. They have some nice prices on that site! Have you been loading up those up for 40, 10mm or both.

Oh and a little PSA in case someone wants to add a .40 cheap

I haven't used any coated bullets in 40 yet since I have a lot of plated bullets on hand, but I plan to get some next time I order. I have loaded 125gr & 145gr bullets in 9mm, 200gr SWC and 233gr RN in 45 acp and the 130gr & 158gr for 38 & 357

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
The Steyr M40 here is a favorite, outstanding grip design but admit the triangular sight design takes some getting used to:

Have you considered getting a L40-A2?

Trapazoidal sights are very different from traditional sights is an understatement; however, myself and others have found the Steyr to have a short learning curve. For myself and some others, after shooting the Steyr as a carry piece, going back to Glocks is like a downgrade.

As a side note, I let a deputy friend shoot the Steyr and by the second magazine he was shooting accurately and fast @25 yards. Muzzle flip was much less than his carry G22 and ergonomics were also much better; his sheriff declined him carrying the Steyr for duty, but allowed the Steyr for off duty. It wasn't that much later when his SO dropped their G22s for Springfield XDs in .45 auto. :)

·
Super Moderator
31,828 Posts
Have you considered getting a L40-A2?

Trapazoidal sights are very different from traditional sights is an understatement; however, myself and others have found the Steyr to have a short learning curve. For myself and some others, after shooting the Steyr as a carry piece, going back to Glocks is like a downgrade.

As a side note, I let a deputy friend shoot the Steyr and by the second magazine he was shooting accurately and fast @25 yards. Muzzle flip was much less than his carry G22 and ergonomics were also much better; his sheriff declined him carrying the Steyr for duty, but allowed the Steyr for off duty. It wasn't that much later when his SO dropped their G22s for Springfield XDs in .45 auto. :)
There are so many on the list of when, if, maybe that it will probably never be completed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts