Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
23,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, guys, I know you've got them lying around your shop. I thought I would post some some pix of the old antique tools I use for gunsmithing my old guns. I'll bet you guys couldn't name half these, so I put the tool name on the photos for you. What've you got?

Auto part

Antique tool Hatchet Lump hammer Stonemason's hammer Axe

Antique tool Product Hammer Tool Stonemason's hammer

Oops, almost forgot.

nfiofnp

· Registered
8,899 Posts
What no barrel straighting fixture?

Tool Metalworking hand tool Machine

· Registered
4,928 Posts
I will get the pics going but I use:
a rubber head hammer
a lead shot filled hammer
a brass head hammer
Midway screwdriver set
assorted files
Chisels
C clamps
And a first aid kit
All old and the cheaper the better.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

· Premium Member
18,786 Posts
Yeah, I can see where using those tools on guns would be fun to watch!

Reactions: RDLouks

· Registered
8,899 Posts

· Registered
1,806 Posts
Those look like tools from the inquisition. The round headed tools could be dent removal and metal straightening tools. Also looks like some pry bars used to align holes in metal sheet for bolting.

· Registered
23,304 Posts
I have a set of hand tools that I have been told that they may be Old Gunsmithing tools. I am wondering if anyone on here can help me identify them. DallasAnd

View attachment 350059 View attachment 350061 View attachment 350063 View attachment 350065

Some of those are planishing tools use for smoothing & shaping red hot metal, some are stockmaking & the last one is for checkering. I have some similar ones inherited from Grandpa (where my gunsmithing business started). Gunsmithing is rapidly becoming a lost art, being replaced by armorers who swap parts instead of make or repair broken ones. There are very few true gunsmiths today who can make an entire gun from scratch.

· Registered
5,149 Posts
Sorry no photos but I'm just back from a trip to the indoor range with the youngest daughter. She really likes shooting an old bolt action single shot .22 I picked up somewhere. Anyway it was shooting to the right so I grabbed a bench brush and wacked the front sight over a bit. I was surprised the it moved in the dovetail being so old. Anyway it's dead on now and she shot the center out of the target.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.