Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a full time RV'er, our space is limited. I want to reload 38/357 and want to use a Lee Hand Loader. I will use RCBS universal primer and a powder charger.
Does anyone have any 1st had experience with the Hand Loader?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
A Lee Loader and a set of dippers were my first tools back in the 70s. It's not a tool that lends itself to high volume loading but with patience and practice it will turn out very consistent ammo. Read and understand the instructions , avoid distraction while loading and you'll be happy with the results.
I keep a Lee Loader for .357 in my bug out bag.

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
I have one as well. It's handy and compact and fine for pistol loading. You can neck size bottleneck cases (with some effort) but you cannot full length resize bottleneck cases (not enough leverage).

Never been a fan of the Lee dippers. I find them basically useless. I carry a PACT electronic scale and powder pan and use the dipper to load the pan on the scale. I also carry a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax for lube (I lube the straightwall cases for effortless sizing with the Lee hand loader).

I give it 4 stars.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I've never been a fan of handloaders. You just can't get enough leverage. Make a folding bench and mount a press to it? I have a Dillon Square Deal B mounted to a folding table and it works on straight wall pistol cases. jmho

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
I've never been a fan of handloaders. You just can't get enough leverage. Make a folding bench and mount a press to it? I have a Dillon Square Deal B mounted to a folding table and it works on straight wall pistol cases. jmho
I'm having trouble envisioning your Dillon being clamped to the dinette table in an RV. Not very portable for one thing and when camping, space is at a premium anyway so stowing a Dillon becomes an issue.

I'm not a fan of handloaders either because of the limited use, but when RV'ing, necessity is the mother of invention so a hand held loader is very viable.

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
Why not get a Lee hand held and use standard dies in whatever caliber you want?
That is, exactly what I do. I use the Lee supplied bushing and run my RCBS dies... you cannot use an FL die set in the handloader because it don't have enough mechanical advanntage (think thats what it's called) to FL resize a case of any consequence, no matter how much case lube you use, I know, I tried, you can't do it and you cannot bump shoulders either but it runs straightwall cases just fine (though I do help it out with sizing wax, even with a no lube needed carbide die). I used it this evening at the gun club, I wanted to adjust a charge rate in a couple 460 cases and I had my H110 in the car and my PACT scale so I dropped the charge rate on 5 cases charged them (I usually have primed cases in the cartridge boxes), weighed the charges on the PACT and seated the pills, collet crimped them and went outside and shot the 5, I wanted the see if the charge impacted the POI and it did.

You aren't going to load willy-nilly, your hand won't take it. It's like locking down a pair of vice grips you set too tight... (Only way I know to describe how the handloader feels), but for a couple loads, it's hard to beat and takes up no room and weighs about nothing plus it's cheap.

Personally speaking I think it's a helluva of an idea and an extremely good investment.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Something you may want to think of instead. Build a reloading range box and find a smaller press for it. You can store everything in the box and pull it out when you reload. Do a search on reloading range boxes. I built one years ago to work up loads at the range. I had a RCBS junior on it. worked good. Even used it in an apartment that I lived in.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The LEE Anniversary kits are small and will fit anywhere. Although I've got a large workshop, my reloading station is on a 2 ft by 3 ft board. It could easily be mounted on a 1 foot square board and work just fine when clamped to a tight RV table.

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
Lee equipment is very user friendly. Whichever route you take should work out well for you. I even had a set of the mallet operated lee loader kits when I started out and they worked just fine.

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
Pretty hard to find a 'tight' RV table. In most RV's the 'table' is mounted on a pedestal and moveable so it's not secured. Everything in a typical RV is multi-use unless it's a big motohome or 5 er.

When RV'ing you have to think outside the box, not just on weight but how much room you have available and where.

The smaller the unit, the more important multi-use and compact becomes. In mine (picture above), everything is multi-use, from the Inverter Generator to the dinette table.

I'm geared for 'off road' camping or whats termed 'Expedition RV'ing'. Not every RV'er is. The majority of RV'ers stay in camp grounds. In a camp ground enviroment firearms are a big no, not to say that a camper don't have one or more in their rig but they aren't using them (except for personal protection). Don't know of any camp grounds with shooting ranges. That leaves my type of camping for recreational shooting and (hunting) and space and multi-use constraints rake precedent, which is why I carry a Lee handloader, PACT scale, RCBS hand primer tool and primers and powder (for the particular rounds I may be using at the time (I'm camping).

Example, if I'm handgun hunting with my 44 N frame, I'll take a 1 pound jar of Lil Gun, a box of bullets of the appropriate weight, one box (100 primers), my 44 die set and my Lee and Pact and it all fits in a drawer in the camper with everything else.

Reactions: spud_.308
1 - 13 of 13 Posts