Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, add me to the list of people fleeing CA for a more gun-friendly state.

I'll be moving to Vegas in a few weeks. :p

Here's my questions:

Is there some sort of parts kit that will turn our previously "CA legal AR-15" into a "normal" one with a regular mag-release, after I move? (I say "previously", because it's the M&P 15 sport with the "bullet button", which are somehow magically "evil" here now). Whenever I try googling it, I only get results for people trying to make their ARs "ca legal" and nothing for those of us who have left the state, and want to switch it over to a "Regular" AR.

Can I just toss any AR mag release into it? It's our first AR, and it's still relatively new, like MAYBE 200 rounds through it (we live in OC, and don't get to the range as much as we'd like to. In Vegas, I know a spot just outside of town where I can shoot all day legally, for free ...well, not counting ammo and a little gas to get there). I'm far from an expert (obviously), so I don't know what's available, or the proper terminology to search for.

Also, not sure how the transfer will work, as it's technically my father's, but he's giving it to me. I know Vegas's laws are lax, but I don't want him getting into any trouble here in CA (he's staying, I don't want them showing up at his house going "where's your AR?" after they pass 50,000 new draconian laws, and giving him problems). He saved the pistol grip, so that part will be easy (no, it's not currently attached, it's got the stupid
"CA-legal" grip on it), and since he didn't want to screw with the damn mag release, he just registered it as an "assault weapon" after all that BS, anyways (not sure if he needed to, he just wanted to play it safe)...

As far as I'm aware, he's allowed to take it to NV, right? If he gives it to me over there, is that legal? I'm assuming not (even though private party to private party is fine there with no background check, last I checked ...and he will be a co-lesee on my apartment ...does that make him a resident? lol, not sure if even a lawyer could answer that one).

What if we take it to someone there with an FFL, and they do the background check and the whole 9-yards? This is another situation where I haven't been able to find a good response from all-knowing google. I'm fairly certain we could find a way to do it here with a background check, etc (I'm not trying to get around that part, I already own 2 guns and know I'll pass a NICS), I'm just trying to go with the cheapest/free/fastest, legal, option ...and all my guns I purchased new, from a gun store, so I'm not sure how the other methods work.

Any help/input with this really convoluted situation (though I'm guessing it's becoming more common) is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
19,237 Posts
Go to the Brownell's website and you can look at their online catalog. The catalog is free, and it'll give you the information necessary to get the right parts the first time.
Click this link, and it'll take you to the website, and the catalog. On the right side of the page, click the AR15/M16 button, and it'll download a pdf file for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapid=675/ClientPage/brownells-catalog-71-pdfs

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
I don't know what modifications California requires to the upper, but:

Apart from adding the magazine release to your lower, a number of changes to the upper might make it more cost effective to just replace the entire upper from someone like PSA (Palmetto State Armory) than to do all the work to restore a flash hider and bayonet lug if that was required as per the old 1994 national US AW ban.

Marc

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:)

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
welcome01Congratulations for getting out of California , I considered moving to Vegas area . There is always construction going on, maybe get a job hauling building materials

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Whew...you got your self a can of worms with it being registered as an CA "assault weapon" versus being a CA compliant "featureless" AR.

In CA, normally your Father would have been able to transfer a firearm directly to you without going through an FFL by doing a Intra-Familial transfer. He would just need to fill out this DOJ form Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction (BOF 4544A) , and send it and a $19.00 fee to the address on the form.

But he can not do that now, as it is not legal to transfer an 'assault weapon' in CA or to a CA resident. You'll need to see what the NV gun laws are regarding an out of state firearm transfer to you once you are an NV resident.

If a bayonet lug isn't important to you , the only other thing on a CA upper that's different from a regular AR is, it either has a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider, or nothing on the muzzle at all. To me, it's not worth the cost of a new upper just to get a lug and flash hider.

For for what you'll need to swap out on the lower, it should just be changing the bullet button setup over to a regular mag release (cheap to do) and the pistol grip (also cheap) or if it has one of those add on "fins", remove it from the pistol grip.

Cost wise, converting it to a "regular" AR outside of CA should be substantially cheaper that buying a new AR, the main consideration is going to be what the firearm transfer laws are in NV, the cost associated with shipping it to an NV FFL, and any fees they would charge.

There is nothing in CA that prohibits someone here from disposing of a CA registered assault out of state, in fact that is now the only legal way for a CA resident to otherwise sell or transfer one.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
wow congrats on leaving CA, good luck mate, ( you might not need therapy now :))

thewlshm

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
wow congrats on leaving CA, good luck mate, ( you might not need therapy now :))

thewlshm
Yes, he still needs therapy and his is to buy some real guns in NV when he moves. He will feel much better with a semi that can have a big boy magazine and a rifle to match. Don't forget a reliable wheel gun to accompany the semis.mytwocents

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I want to know what you folks do for a living, where you can "just go buy another", lol. If my family had that kind of money to throw around, we wouldn't be buying S&Ws (not trying to talk smack on S&W ...well, yet ...more on that later), but you know what I mean.

Ok so, turns out they never "allowed" my father to register it as an assault weapon, they kicked it back because he's a technology noob and the pics he submitted weren't good enough.

He'd put the stupid fin on it and pinned the stock open and some other stuff to make it "featureless" (only in CA would adding a bunch of crap make something "featureless"), AFTER all that (was wondering why he'd do both ...anyways, communication problem with him ...but I digress).

So that free'd us up a ton for the transfer. He helped me move in here in Vegas, and was like "Here's an AR-15" <hands it to me>, he's just got to file a "not in possession" form or some nonsense over in CA to show he gave it to me. Apparently it's the legal form of "lost it in a boating accident" lmao.

I love NV... anyways...

Ok so, since then, I've re-attached the standard grip, bought a PMAG (yeah, just 1 for now), unpinned the stock, and took his lame scope (some cheapo that loses zero when you fire it once, lol) off.

I received my magazine catch assembly in the mail today and... (here's where I rip S&W)

...DO THEY FREAKING WELD THE @#&$ing BULLET BUTTONS IN THERE, OR WHAT?!?!?

I've broken 2 bullet button removal tools already trying to unscrew this garbage (and based on all the phone calls I made, they were the last 2 in the entire city). I really don't want to wait for shipping again when I know the damn teeth are just going to break off it right away, anyways...

I've been watching YouTube videos on other ways to do it, some people are using narrow flathead screwdrivers to get them out. I found one that fit nicely into the "slot" on one side ...aaaand now I have a small flathead screwdriver that's more suited to being a corkscrew. Yep, thing's totally "twisted" now on both ends. I can NOT get it to budge. But at least there's little metal filings all over the place. =/

I don't even know what to do. 'bout to just drill this @#$&ing thing out.

Am I crazy for thinking that's not the kind of part that would wiggle itself loose on a regular basis, and thus would require a freaking gallon of red loctite or JB weld in it (or possibly an ACTUAL weld)? C'mon S&W, this is NOT cool.

/endrant

Anyways, there has to be someone here that's had the same problem and didn't have a garage full of tools at their disposal (or a bunch of extra money lying around to pay a gunsmith, etc), I live in a small apartment and don't even have room to put in a proper workbench with a vice or anything (though, none of the people in said YouTube vids did, either it seems). Help/advice would be appreciated. Note: I'm currently poor.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I want to know what you folks do for a living, where you can "just go buy another", lol. If my family had that kind of money to throw around, we wouldn't be buying S&Ws (not trying to talk smack on S&W ...well, yet ...more on that later), but you know what I mean.

Ok so, turns out they never "allowed" my father to register it as an assault weapon, they kicked it back because he's a technology noob and the pics he submitted weren't good enough.

He'd put the stupid fin on it and pinned the stock open and some other stuff to make it "featureless" (only in CA would adding a bunch of crap make something "featureless"), AFTER all that (was wondering why he'd do both ...anyways, communication problem with him ...but I digress).

So that free'd us up a ton for the transfer. He helped me move in here in Vegas, and was like "Here's an AR-15" <hands it to me>, he's just got to file a "not in possession" form or some nonsense over in CA to show he gave it to me. Apparently it's the legal form of "lost it in a boating accident" lmao.

I love NV... anyways...

Ok so, since then, I've re-attached the standard grip, bought a PMAG (yeah, just 1 for now), unpinned the stock, and took his lame scope (some cheapo that loses zero when you fire it once, lol) off.

I received my magazine catch assembly in the mail today and... (here's where I rip S&W)

...DO THEY FREAKING WELD THE @#&$ing BULLET BUTTONS IN THERE, OR WHAT?!?!?

I've broken 2 bullet button removal tools already trying to unscrew this garbage (and based on all the phone calls I made, they were the last 2 in the entire city). I really don't want to wait for shipping again when I know the damn teeth are just going to break off it right away, anyways...

I've been watching YouTube videos on other ways to do it, some people are using narrow flathead screwdrivers to get them out. I found one that fit nicely into the "slot" on one side ...aaaand now I have a small flathead screwdriver that's more suited to being a corkscrew. Yep, thing's totally "twisted" now on both ends. I can NOT get it to budge. But at least there's little metal filings all over the place. =/

I don't even know what to do. 'bout to just drill this @#$&ing thing out.

Am I crazy for thinking that's not the kind of part that would wiggle itself loose on a regular basis, and thus would require a freaking gallon of red loctite or JB weld in it (or possibly an ACTUAL weld)? C'mon S&W, this is NOT cool.

/endrant

Anyways, there has to be someone here that's had the same problem and didn't have a garage full of tools at their disposal (or a bunch of extra money lying around to pay a gunsmith, etc), I live in a small apartment and don't even have room to put in a proper workbench with a vice or anything (though, none of the people in said YouTube vids did, either it seems). Help/advice would be appreciated. Note: I'm currently poor.
I can't speak for the rest but I'm a retired funeral director. That's what I do for a living. My schedule now includes 6 Saturday's and a Sunday! Good luck with your rifle. I commend you for moving out of the loony bin.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Congrats for moving out of Commiefornia. Hopefully you will get an answer soon regarding your rifle. Good luck.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Guessing folks in Nevada do not care. Even in Ory-gun you can still transfer a gun inside a family. For now.

Get out of “Cali”, we were once “Cali” fornians. Find a good gunshop, research laws. Make changes to the gun as needed. The long arm of California law does not extend past the border.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts