Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....and it doesn't sound good. This from Vista Outdoors CEO:
According to data from the NSSF, there are 6.2 million new shooters in 2020. This rate is more than twice the number of new shooters in the former surge. Anecdotally, there is no shortage of reports of sold out shooting ranges and backlogged firearm safety classes around the country.”

We have cleaned inventory in all retail and wholesale locations,” Metz said. “Despite us producing flat out for 6 months, there is no buildup of inventory at any of our customers. In fact, every one of them would like significantly more. Simply put, consumer demand continues to outpace our ability to supply.”

·
Registered
26,151 Posts
What some of us have been saying for a while now. And with folks snapping up huge quantities more than they normally would buy, it just exacerbates the problem.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I've practiced shooting for the last time. Unless I'm in a real gunfight, I'm not wasting another single round of any caliber. Dry fire practice will have to do. Now that I think about it, many years ago I bought my son and his wife a laser target system, I wonder if he still has it? If that doesn't pan out, I might just buy myself a Christmas present!

·
Premium Member
13,678 Posts
We are filling our handgun classes (for the NC concealed carry handgun permit) out into next year's spring cycle already.

But, this is a tiny number of seats compared to the number of guns sold in our area - which is quite remarkable.

As to Ammo, I've been supplying .22LR for our club guns in class.

If you're an experienced shooter and practicing for accuracy, dry fire with a Mantis X system is a good alternative. I have one, and it's excellent.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I’m glad I reload and cast,,,,,by the way I would bet that I’m the only former Welshman that has done that in 100 years :)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reloading only works if you’ve stocked up on primers and powder. Especially primers.

There’s some good alternatives to live fire. MantisX, as mentioned above, is excellent. Laserlyte has some good systems. And of course AEGs are a great option, look and feel like the real deal, and you can even shoot full auto.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Not an issue here, never has been. I always buy full 1000 boxes of primers and usually match grade, not so long as they aren't Winchester or Fiocci. Both have hard cups.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Not an issue here, never has been. I always buy full 1000 boxes of primers and usually match grade, not so long as they aren't Winchester or Fiocci. Both have hard cups.
What does that mean? Not an issue for you personally because you stocked up? If so, I get that and smart thinking.

Because it certainly is an issue purchasing primers right now that can’t be denied.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Given the number of new shooters, I wonder how many were staunchly anti-gun until the reality of criminals being set free and pouring out of prisons all over the country (those poor at risk for C-19 murderers/rapists/and the rest of their ilk) became reality.

Terrorists groups like blm and anti-fa are getting away with murder, arson assaulting innocent people suddenly made pro-gun believers of the anti-gun crowd? Imagine that!

Where's Law Enforcement when you need them? - Oh, radical leftist pols won't let them do their jobs.

How many of the anti-gun crowd 'still' think YOU shouldn't own a gun, but now think they should have one or two, but will still vote left?

Why am I ranting?

Because, some of my family were super anti-gun nuts, recently bought guns and want me to show them how to shoot.

These hypocrites are angry with me as I told them nope with a caveat...unless you family member declare in writing (yes, I was deliberately rubbing it in) you are now Conservatives who will help vote out liberals.

Not one was willing...so that tells me there are more of the antis who're pretending to be pro-gun, when they still detest guns and those willing to defend themselves with them, but bought guns anyway because self defense reality is finally dawning on them.

"Oh you bought a gun'?

I thought you hated them, but now you want MY help in their care and feeding cuz you just realized you can't depend on Law Enforcement to save your bacon? YOU have to save your bacon all by yer lonesome?

Glad you 'woke' up, but I'm not your personal savior.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Not sayin' you're responsible, just that untrained idjits cause calamities.
Tough call, either way.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Banned
5,031 Posts
I don't reload so I try to keep a few thousand rounds of the calibers I shoot. Recently I was lucky to purchase some 40 S&W directly from Speer ammo at a reasonable price. When I go to LGS he has hardly no ammo and definitely NO Primers! I guess everyone is in the same boat either no ammo or no primers.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
Went to my friend's LGS today and picked up a couple cans (500 shells each) of 12 ga @1 Buckshot and 20 ga 4 shot. Amazed to find that. $159 each.

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hey Mister Dave,

For what its worth (cup o' MUD?)....

My understanding is ALL the firms that make .22LR...........have been going full tilt since the KinYan was in Office.

Winchester went around the clock... Federal/CCI built another .22 "LINE" as well as increasing Primer capacity...

My QUESTION? Why don't I see all these NEW SHOOTERS at the MATCHES/RIFLE CLUBS?

Are they taking CLASSES?

As to capacity....these UNITED STATES had the CAPACITY to ARM the FREE WORLD from successfully PROSECUTING WWII until the present time.

Why is it? That I can not get a brick of .22LR...so as to take my GRANDDAUGHTER out PLINKING? (well, if I want to spend $100/brick ..........)

Later, Mark

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
All of WWII had 100 million military personnel, compared to possibly 120 million or more gun owners in the US now.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
All of WWII had 100 million military personnel, compared to possibly 120 million or more gun owners in the US now.
Hey M,

And the cyclic rate of 600rds/min of every 50BMG & Browning "Light" .30 ............. some of which were being used dang near continuous...at times/dependent on "Theatre"? ??

Not counting ........... Artillery/Ship's Gunnery/Aircraft Gunnery...??

400lbs/powder...each GUN fired by "Iowa Class"....Each time...

Apples/oranges.....

Am an "Active Competitive Shooter" (20,000rds+/yr) .....I DO NOT SEE any NEW SHOOTERS at our practice ranges...or the MATCHES!

There are but "so many" folk what shoot COMPETITION....

With the amount of ammo being produced...there should BE ............. STEEL CHALLENGE courses on every block.......with "TAKE A NUMBER" (like the DELI) lines of FOLK......ENJOYING their new BLAME FireArms!

The shelves There should be PALLETS of .22 ammo in every COSTCO in the LAND!

Sadly, this is not the case.

If primers do not come around, and with "SniFf & Blo" set to take ofFice next month, it does not look as though they will.....I will be OUT of PRIMERS come June....

A POX on all the liBTurDs..... (n) n their folk too.........fer not BEATIN' some FOOL SENSE into their emPty hAids!:mad:

Later, Mark

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
Mark, When went to range with Grandsons, we were at my Friends LGS. He had some 38 special finally. Winchester White box of 50 for 39.00. I talked to him about it and found out it was costing him about 34.00 a box. Plus he will spend hours on the net and phone only to locate ammo that will he will get in about 3 weeks. His shotgun shells were fair and I got a few. His other shelves were bare. Makes me think are the bigger Corps and the Middle Man are working together to get the prices where they want them. Know there is high demand but.....
As far as new gun owners, He does nothing but train all day Wednesdays and between 6am and 10 (when they open). Unfortunately a lot of these gun owners do train but do not have the ammo to really practice. And a lot tell him it is for SD at home so do not feel the need to practice once they "learn about the gun". When Grandsons and I go to the range there are not many people there and many times we have it to ourselves. Good luck on getting some 22 ammo for the Granddaughter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts