Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one time I had 5 38 Special revolvers in the safe but they all got traded or sold. So I'd been wanting to get back into the game when this one popped up on a local trade board this past December.

Got a real good deal on it because the stocks were obviously not original. 馃槈
And it's not pinned either! :eek:
Seriously, the seller was looking for something more modern. Probably inherited it from a relative. He had it priced at about half the going rate.

A model 10-9 with real smooth trigger and very little wear from use. Just some light flecking and dirt from neglect. Perfect for field and stream use.
I'm still undecided about whether I like the combat stocks. They don't quite fit me right. But they sure are pretty to look at. Saw a similar condition set sell recently on Ebay for over $200. :unsure:
Worse case scenario is I can sell them and end up with a gun that cost... well, pretty darn cheap! What say you?

John

Registered
#2 son got in under the wire with a Mossberg 500 trophy combo. His first independent firearm purchase. :D

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

Registered
Nice model 10. Great addition to your collection. I like the combat stocks as well but would swap them out for some magnas. Range report soon?

Reactions: jeepnut

Registered
Well, I'll be the one here who disagrees. :D That's a fine looking Model 10 for sure, but I would remove the combats and maybe use them on another gun. They look all wrong to me on a vintage 4" pencil barrel Model 10. In fact, I might even sell those nice combats on GB or eBay and reduce the cost of the Model 10. For a working gun, I'd probably slap on some Goodyears... for a semi-collectible gun, I'd want original factory grips (Magnas) or Targets.

I should point out that I was once a big combats guy and put them on just about everything back in the good old days (late-70's & early-80's) of my first S&W revolver collecting incarnation. Those were mostly brand new stainless steel revolvers and it seemed like a good idea at the time. But now, I've gone back to all original Magnas and Targets. The novelty and "customized look" eventually wore off on me... so take that into account with my opinion above. :)

Premium Member
I'm with TTSH. Not only should grips be comfortable but aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Notice the grips over power the entire design of the weapon. It's too much.

Premium Member
When I look at the picture, my eyes go to the grips, and then to the 10. Since these grips don't fit you, swap them out for grips that do fit you, makes for more fun time at the range instead of thinking about grips that don't fit. :)

Super Moderator
Nice addition! I would prefer smaller, less hand filling grips for my small hands though.

Registered
Yep, better with Magnas IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts