Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
49,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the K frame Model 17 series the largest frame S&W used for a 22lr? In this day and age of really expensive ammo, shooting a similar size and weight gin in .22 might be nice for those shooting N frames

· Registered
3,364 Posts
I
Smith & Wesson made a .22 Jet N frame that had inserts for .22lr. I can't remember the model number but they are rare and expensive, the inserts alone are several hundred dollars. But it was .22lr out of an N frame with the inserts.

The Model 53, 22 Remington Jet and 22 Long Rifle was built on the K frame.

There is exactly ONE (1), 22 Long Rifle built on the N frame from the S&W factory, a Registered Magnum. It was shipped to California and has not surfaced in a very long time.

A gunsmith should be able to make you one on a larger than K frame if he is even halfway good.

Kevin

· Registered
49,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you read int SWCA vol 1 or 2 I believe at least one registered magnum N frame was experimentally chambered in 22lr.........Never left the factory.
Now THAT would be a great find!

Could a barrel be put on an N frame?

· Registered
3,364 Posts
Now THAT would be a great find!

Could a barrel be put on an N frame?
There are no factory barrels available for the N frame in 22 Long Rifle, or any 22 caliber, so if you want a factory barrel, no.

If you merely want a 22 Long Rifle N frame, sleeving the barrel and cylinder to the appropriate size is a no brainer. And it can be done by the kitchen table gunsmith. The hardest part is converting the hammer to rim fire. All S&W rimfire have frame mounted firing pins. So you either need to start with a modern N frame or consider adapting the nose mounted firing pin to rimfire. Either is not that hard for a gunsmith. Or, someone with more time than money and some basic skills.

Kevin

· Registered
12,065 Posts
There is one member here, that has a "N" frame .22LR.

This old Official Police is slightly larger than a "K"...(in 22LR)

Attachments

· Registered
49,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
12,353 Posts
If you read int SWCA vol 1 or 2 I believe at least one registered magnum N frame was experimentally chambered in 22lr.........Never left the factory.
That went to someone in California and disappeared. Another white whale.
On the blue forum someone found a 455 Triplelock that had a gorgeous .22 LR conversion done to it. So there's at least a few out there.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

· Registered
12,353 Posts
I once handled/played with a Colt .45 LC single action that had been sleeved to .22 LR. It was as heavy as a boat anchor. I wouldn't have brought it home if they had given it to me.
Nah, that would have been a tack driver. Weight is your friend shooting freehand.

· Registered
2,634 Posts
Dan Wesson made a big one.
Based on the 357 frame which was about an L frame size. Being DW of course any barrel length could be had.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cliff and Abby'sDad

· Registered
12,353 Posts
Supposedly a Registered Magnum was made in 22LR. Sort of a collector's "White Whale" as it's location was lost in the 60's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts