Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have for long time used Winchester and Federal large pistol primers. My LGS has only CCI-300 and Federal LPP match primers.
What’s the difference between regular Federal primers and match?
I’ve heard of problems with CCI primers in the past with irregular shape sometimes resulting in detonation when attempting to prime the case.
Anyone with knowledge who can catch me up here?
thanks

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Match primers are more closely monitored in the quality control process. They sometimes are worth the extra price but if that is all you can get then fine. CCI primers have caused some problems in the past but I never had issues with them. Some say they are harder than Winchester or Federal but I couldn’t say. If that is what you can get then use them.

·
Registered
12,303 Posts
I have used nothing but CCI primers for the past 6 years, including Large Pistol. I have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
CCI and Federal for me. Winchester have the hardest cups, Federals the softest and CCI, in between. I hand primes everything so I haven't a clue about detonating a primer if I did, I'd not be worried anyway, if you ever detonated one sans propellant, all it does is make a small pop.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Also used thousands of CCI primers (rifle and pistol) with no issues. Not sure I have ever seen match pistol primers. I question the value/price difference for handgun loads, but I do think they "might" make a difference in a very accurate rifle/load. I use them that way anyway. Magnum VS. standard primers is another issue, with the magnums being a little hotter and better for use in cold weather and with some powders. I have read some say not to use Federal primers in an AR, due to the softer cups, but I have had no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts