Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to fix a forcing cone on a LadySmith? At some point in the past someone used a file to remove the forcing cone area of the barrel. Too much was removed to just set back the barrel and recut the forcing cone.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
K or J Frame?

Sounds like Bubba ruined your barrel.

Bet you need a new one if so much of the breech end has been removed that you can't recut the shoulder and shorten the ejector rod.

Sounds expensive to me....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gun is one of the original .22 long S&W Ladysmith seven shot revolvers. I believe that the gun had a fractured forcing cone and the owner took a file to the breech end of the barrel and shortened it to the point that the barrel cannot be set back. A new barrel would be very difficult if not impossible to locate. I wanted to know if there was a way to fix the gun.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Re: Lady smith forcing cone question

Shawn I did not mean to make light of your problem. The thing that I can think of would be to find another lady smith and change barrels. As you can see it;s pretty hopeless. The expense would not be worth the effort. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
On a Ladysmith that's called a 'Private-spot'.

sorry, couldn't resist. kubvcabo kihfL ohijgan

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
All the silliness above not withstanding, I did not realize that you were discussing a Model "M". Sorry.

However, there is good news. So common is this problem that Mr. David Chicoine of Old West Gunsmithing has developed a method of rebuilding the breech ends of Ladysmith .22's. I'm told that the work is very good.

Drop Dave a line at: http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/gunsmith/cowboy/

Drew

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Shawn,
To say (as has been said above) the forcing cone problems on Ladysmith revolvers is common is a kind understatement.
It was more like an epidemic!
The condition (otherwise) is what will dteermine whether or not the repair Drew suggested is worth looking into.
I DO know this: An otherwise top-condition gun, numbers matching, would sure be worth getting professionally repaired.
Chicoine is the go-to guy.
Don
;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts