Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From www.kniferights.org

Breaking News: We have received word that U.S. Customs & Border Protection has DENIED the numerous requests for extension that it had received and is planning to stick with the June 21 deadline for comments.

CBP's denial of an extension seems to be a clear indication that they do not intend to act in a fair and reasonable manner on this issue and have already made their decision to go ahead. That means we have to set the stage for the next act, which will likely be conducted both in court and in Congress. The battle is far from over, your comments will play a role in both efforts.

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) has proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its broad definition of a switchblade would also include one-handed opening knives and could be easily interpreted to cover most other pocket knives, even simple old-fashioned slip-joints.

Note that CBP's interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in many cases. This ruling by CBP is NOT limited to just imports. This WILL affect virtually everyone who carries a pocket knife, no matter the type!

Download the 63 page CBP document and read it for yourself.

Knife Rights has sent a letter to CBP requesting an extension to the ridiculously short 30-day comment period. We need your help to make an impression on CBP. They figured that they could slip this by everyone with little notice. We need to let CBP know that they are not going to get away with it; that we noticed and we are not happy and that we will not stand by while they take away our pocket knives.

We are in for the fight of our lives. We need you to write CBP NOW!

Click here for a Model Letter you can send to CBP.

However, the reality is that CBP isn't required to listen to our demands, but they do have to answer to Congress. After you send a letter to CBP, giving them notice they are not going to sneak this by us, the next step is to inundate Congress with emails and letters.

If you want to be free to carry your pocket knives in the future, you need to write your Senators and Representative TODAY!

Click here for a Model Letter you can send to Members of Congress.

We have also prepared a Communicating with Congress page that includes tips to maximize the effect of your letters. This page was developed after consultation with experts who understand exactly how to get your message across to Members of Congress. We have also included easy links to find your Representatives, if you don't know who they are or the best way to reach them. How much of an impact your communication has can be significantly impacted by how and what you write. Our aim is to help maximize your impact so your Members of Congress actually listen and do something. PLEASE, take a few minutes to review our Communicating with Congress page BEFORE you act.

Knife Rights was formed three years ago because we knew it was only a matter of time before something like this would happen that would threaten to take away our right to own and carry our knives. Well, that time is now and we're working to help keep our essential tools and essential rights. We cannot do it without your help. Knife Rights is only as powerful as the forces we can bring to bear. You are the only truly effective weapon we have. Policitcans only listen to voters. NOW IS YOUR TIME TO ACT!

Because you are sending a hard copy letter and emails via Members' web forms, we won't know you did it unless you let us know. It is critical that we be able to know how many have responded, so please click here to send us an email ([email protected]) to let us know you've sent the letter and emails.

* WRITE Customs NOW!
* WRITE your Members of Congress NOW!
* Join Knife Rights and help support the fight to keep your Knife Rights!

Copyright 2009, Knife Rights, Inc.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'll bet the same agent that tried to ban the flip open knives made by CRKT a few years ago moved up the ladder and is trying to get his way. This can only lead to more bans on other weapons. Right now it is one handers then it will be fixed blades because they will realize those are faster than AO's. I think we should go further and try to get the switchblade law of 1958 reversed and make them legal to carry again. Another thing they are not thinking of is people that have only the use of one hand, what about them?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It may be too late. :(

We had a similar discussion here a few months ago - and concluded that most states already have enough laws on the books to make us leave all but the tiniest knives at home...even gun and knife-friendly states like Texas.

All they need is a few high-level bureaucrats in place to issue orders to strictly enforce the existing laws.....

xtm

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
I've found that most LE are ignorant of knife laws or just do what they want.
They get by with it too. I have had more problems carrying a knife than I ever did a gun.
I was an electrician by trade and a knife was an essential tool.
"why do you need a knife like that?" - to open light fixture cartons you dumb jerk!
"Sorry but you can't take that knife into the court house." - how am I going to open all those fluorescent fixtures?
"Open them outside the courthouse!" - are you going to guard them or pay for the ones that get damaged being moved?
"Sounds like you have a problem!" - no, the judges do if they want this courthouse rewired.
We had to have razor knives approved before we carried them. Folding Buck 110s were a no-no.
I've had far more problems with obtuse cops having a knife than I have ever had carrying a gun.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've found that most LE are ignorant of knife laws or just do what they want.
They get by with it too. I have had more problems carrying a knife than I ever did a gun.
I was an electrician by trade and a knife was an essential tool.
"why do you need a knife like that?" - to open light fixture cartons you dumb jerk!
"Sorry but you can't take that knife into the court house." - how am I going to open all those fluorescent fixtures?
"Open them outside the courthouse!" - are you going to guard them or pay for the ones that get damaged being moved?
"Sounds like you have a problem!" - no, the judges do if they want this courthouse rewired.
We had to have razor knives approved before we carried them. Folding Buck 110s were a no-no.
I've had far more problems with obtuse cops having a knife than I have ever had carrying a gun.
That sucks, no problems here, just lovin the legal fixed blade. Besides you could stab someone with your pen or pencil or screwdriver, those can/are dangerous weapons too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just for the record, in September a new Texas law went into effect allowing the legal carry of switchblades.
That's cool if you wanna carry a switch blade around for some reason. You can buy spring assisted knives also all over the place.. switchblades huh? I'll look it up.
Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
What's next? Registration of all Little League baseball bats? Rocks over 4 inches across? Lord help us.
Yeah, just wait for some terrorist to bash some kids head in on a baseball field, then it'll be. There's dangerous weapons all OVER THE PLACE. Look around at that rock.. Your belt!!! This is why I don't read this crap because it's so fracking stupid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a former Texas Peace Officer I am surprised they would do that. Under the old Texas Criminal Code it was even illegal to use a wrist snap to open a lock blade. Any knife that is or can be opened by spring,gravity or centrifugal force was considered to be a violation of the statue.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"... sue them for violating your 2A rights. They either have to declare knives aren't weapons & they are harassing you or they are weapons & they are violating the Constitution. It drives them crazy when you use their own laws against them.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
They'll ban lumber yards and hardware stores. Too many choices! Here in OH they passed a law which makes silencers legal for hunting. Open carry of a straight blade knife is ILLEGAL! Open carry of a pistol is Legal. It doesn't figure.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Most major cities have an ordinance against carrying ANY knife or edged/pointy 'weapon'.

Philadelphia Code §10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places.

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In that wonderful utopia of civilization , England , I don't think you can even own a kitchen knife with any kind of point on it. I believe they must have a round or blunt end.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
True story about "that Fortune 500" place I retired from........

A "manager" came up to our scheduler (a lady) and asked her about her fingernail files. He said "I notice that one of the files on your desk has a pointed end". She replied "yes, it's for cleaning my fingernails". He told her to "make a scabbard out of construction paper" to prevent someone from sticking and hurting themselves. He also pointed out another nail file that had a rounded end and told her that it had what could be considered a sharp edge and if someone pressed down on it, it could possibly cut and to make a scabbard for that one too.

Our "supervisor" told us we were to no longer use pocket knives for anything. He wanted us to use our vehicle keys to open boxes. I asked him about slicing veggies for our lunch. He replied for us to do that before we left home. I kid you not and you could be terminated if you got caught using or having a box cutter. You can't make this stuff up folks! We have our newly educated MBA types being given governance over us that are anything BUT sensible people. There IS an "agenda"........ and that agenda is the wussification of the masses.

I know women that have more testosterone than these corporate sponsored TQM, Six Sigma, ISO Compliant, Lean Six Sigma idiots!

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Missouri has very relaxed knife laws. Switchblades have been legal to possess, carry, or sell since 2012 if they do not violate federal law. Any blade under 4" is legal to carry.
This discussion makes me recall an old Red Foxx routine:
"They say that all black men carry a knife. That's not true, my uncle carried an icepick for 40 years!".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts