Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the shine finally worn off Kimber firearms and their questionable quality control at times?
Two gun stores up here in the Frozen North start selling off everything Kimber half price or less right now. People are buying them up but I wonder if these stores know something we don't or if they're just having trouble in these weird times. Double weird and Canada for gun retail thanks to our current prime minister.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Have not heard anything but found this from back in March
Finally, Some Good Coronavirus News – Kimber Stops Making Guns - Omaha Outdoors
And this from late October about moving headquarters
Kimber Manufacturing Moving Its Headquarters from New York to Troy - Alabama News
Then this article which I cant find a date on says they are moving production too
Kimber Manufacturing Moving to Alabama-Trends in the Heat Treating Industry
And finally this one that says production had to stop in the new facility because of so many parts being made in NY, which was shut down for Covid

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
The one I own (Kimber Crimson Carry Ultra) is a fine 45 auto. Very well built and reliable. Only thing I did was replace the leaf spring with a Max Baer spring. Stock trigger pull was way too heavy.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting Thanks. All their inventory its regular price but then you see a Kimber 1911 Super Carry custom going for a thousand bucks Canadian when the regular price it's more like $2300. Hmmm.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
The preferred weapon of Joe Kenda, the “Homocide Hunter”

Thewelshm

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Interesting Thanks. All their inventory its regular price but then you see a Kimber 1911 Super Carry custom going for a thousand bucks Canadian when the regular price it's more like $2300. Hmmm.
That means.........HIT THE BUY NOW BUTTON! :ROFLMAO:

So glad I could help

Reactions: Curt360 and paulwv

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
I own one Kimber, a CDP-II officer size carry gun in .45acp.

My one experience with Kimber customer service years ago so completely turned me off that I'll never buy another one. They were just short of rude.

I understand that they have decided to leave Brooklyn and moving to Troy Alabama. Good move.

Soon, they may know what "bless your heart" really means... Until then, hopefully they will work on their customer service operation.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
I own one Kimber, a CDP-II officer size carry gun in .45acp.

My one experience with Kimber customer service years ago so completely turned me off that I'll never buy another one. They were just short of rude.

I understand that they have decided to leave Brooklyn and moving to Troy Alabama. Good move.

Soon, they may know what "bless your heart" really means... Until then, hopefully they will work on their customer service operation.
Pretty typical New York attitude. I got the same thing when I talked to their 'customer service' about something but unlike you, I jumped right in their poop and they changed their attitude immediately. How you handle New York city rats. Wonder how the folks in Troy will be with it? probably not good. They need to leave all the NYC rats in NYC and rehire down there instead.

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A small handful of 1911 Kimbers recently became legal for dealers to sell in MA via the "Formal Target Shooting" roster. I really don't have much interest in adding another 1911 to the collection right now, but I will say that a good friend in another state owns one and swears by it. As they come back into stock in MA post-COVID, I'll take a look. But I'd say I'm more interested in checking out the Kimber revolver than their 1911 semi-autos. 😎

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
A small handful of 1911 Kimbers recently became legal for dealers to sell in MA via the "Formal Target Shooting" roster. I really don't have much interest in adding another 1911 to the collection right now, but I will say that a good friend in another state owns one and swears by it. As they come back into stock in MA post-COVID, I'll take a look. But I'd say I'm more interested in checking out the Kimber revolver than their 1911 semi-autos. 😎
They build a dandy long rifle, Kimber Mountain Ascent. I don't own one, don't need one but I know someone who does and it's a shooter and expensive too.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Premium Member
13,646 Posts
If you want an outstanding M1911a1, consider the mid to high end Dan Wesson pistols.

That said, check the individual gun you consider buying. One showed up at the shop a couple of months ago with a slide to frame fit that was as loose as an average M1911a1 pistol, not up to the quality of the two Dan Wessons I own.

I think CZ tried a cost reduced version under CZ branding, then gave up and started brand pollution by selling a less fitted pistol under Dan Wesson branding.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
446 Posts
My buddy Rick likes to buy "good" guns. He found a Kimber he liked, and ordered it. There were a couple of issues with his new gun that caused him to send it back to Kimber. That can happen. What was disturbing however was the length of time they kept his gun. He called them to inquire what was going on and in the conversation with the service department Rick expressed his disappointment with the function issues, and the overall "rough finish" ( tool marks) on the pistol. The "Service" guy told him: "Well Sir, it's not like you bought a Baer".

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Back when my identical-twin brother (deceased) was a LEO, he belonged to the "Gun of the Month" club otherwise known as a group of deputies who were always finding, buying, trading firearms. Courtesy of my brother, I had the opportunity to borrow/shoot/use and sometimes own a number of really nice handguns. Three of them were Kimber 1911's. Two of them were Kimber .22 LR bolt action sporter rifles. The rifles were wonderful. Lots of fund to plink pecans off a 2x4 at 50 long steps. Just outstanding. The 1911's ... one was the basic model. Very plain. Excellent fit/finish. Dead on accurate w/ ball and handholds. Fabulous on target results. Two other 1911's were the nicer target types. But I preferred the basic model. They were all extremely well made and very accurate. But, I liked the basic model best simply b/c I preferred the sights. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd sure like to join the Kimber bashing club like all the cool kids, but in good conscience cannot. I've owned a half dozen Kimbers in the last ~20 years. All good guns. Kimber is one of the few manufacturers I've never had to send a gun back to for warranty work in the last 40-50 years. A magazine cracked some years ago, and I called Kimber about it. Don't know when or where I got the magazine, new, used or ? All Kimber Customer service asked me was where to send the new magazine. The last Kimber, I purchased about 3-4 years ago, a 38 Super, has been excellent. I've made changes to it, and fitted an aftermarket 9MM barrel. Not because of any deficiency in the gun as received, but just personal preference changes.

Guns I have returned for warranty work include, Colts, Swiss SIG P210, Springfield, Baer, Rock River, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and a Wilson I returned for a full refund. Haven't needed to return a Kimber, so I can join the bashing/trashing club yet darn It ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.