Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife needed to get her nails done today, so rather than wait around the nail joint, I dropped her off and ran down to the range. I had my fairly new Kimber Micro 9 with two spare mags with me, and a snap lid box full of my reloads.

Blue Everyday carry Gun accessory Electric blue Gun barrel

While I was grabbing a couple of targets, I also picked up a box of Sarsilmaz 9mm ammo. I'd never heard of it before, but it was releatively inexpensive (for these days) so I grabbed a box, got my lane assignment, and went in to start loading mags.

This was the first time I've ever used a mag loader at the range. I've got a couple now, but the one I was using is a Maglula. I think that's right. Man that thing is a thumbsaver. One of the few things I don't like about the Micro 9 is the mags are somewhat difficult to load, especially the last couple of rounds. The mag loader takes that right out of the equation. It took a couple of rounds with it to really get the hang of it (I kept hitting the "lock" button), but eventually I did. It stays in the range bag now.

The Sarsilmaz ammo is made in Turkey. Brass case, Boxer primed, 115 grain FMJ. No problems at all with it. Every round went bang, every case ejected and fed the next round without a hitch. I'm tempted to say it wasn't the most accurate ammo I've ever used, but I'm such a poor shot, I don't know rather to blame me, or the ammo.

After I finished off that ammo, I switched to a box of Sierra "Outdoor Master" 124 grain HP's I'd bought along. Again, this worked without a hitch and seemed to me to be more accurate. The "10/X" ring in the target started to take some hits and get smaller and smaller.

And since I'd bought along the reloads, I gave them a try. Generally they're 115 grain Berry's FMJ, but there were a few "loose" factory HP, and even a few HP's I'd loaded a few years back. I paid no attention to which I was loading, I just noticed a couple of HP's on the top on the magazine. Again, no malfunctions. The little gun just chugged along, with that 10/X ring area getting smaller and smaller.

So all in all, I did about 100 rounds through the Kimber, bringing the total round count up to 200 + or - a few one way or the other. No malfunctions.

I mentioned the difficulty of loading the magazines as one thing I don't particularly care for, but there is one more thing. It's not really a BIG deal, but the little rascal has some pretty snappy recoil. That's to be expected I suppose. It is a 9mm, in a gun about the size of a lot of 380's. However, one thing that really makes it more unplesant is the grips. They're slick. The checkering you see is almost non functional, at least in my hand, and after 50 rounds or so, my hands start to sweat, and it wants to twist in my hand. I'm debating changing the grips, but darn it, I like the way the gun looks. I hate to have to put on some ugly rubber grips or something like that. The jury is still out on that.

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
A fine way to get your nails done... with a "tack driver"... Best afternoons ever!

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I couldn’t find the boring part. Nice review, nicer gun. Looks like a good time was had by you and the Mrs. win win.

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
Nice range report. That is a good looking pistol and glad to hear it works well. Sarsilmaz is a HUGE gun maker. A couple years ago they started importing revolvers. I have not seen one, except online. They must have thought the 686 was a good gun to copy
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A fine way to get your nails done... with a "tack driver"... Best afternoons ever!
A few years ago, after having bit my nails all my life, for some reason I stopped. I can't say it was a concious decision, I just did. Now I have to keep them clipped/filed back. Well, today the little Kimber managed to break the one on my trigger finger. OH NO! I broke a nail. :) Out came the file on my Swiss Army Knife. I knew it would be good for something some day.

That SarSilMaz ammo is some DIRTY stuff. Dirtier even than I remember Wolf being when I used that in a couple of ComBloc guns I had a few years back.

That's a nice looking 357. I had a Tisas 1911 a few years back that was a pretty nice gun. I sold/traded it off for something else, but it was a well made GI type gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the range report. I hope you like yours as well as I like mine. I agree with you on the grips. Look great but not real functional. But I could not bring myself to put rubber ones on either.
Mine would not shoot my 115 grain reloads right out of the box. It would jam or stovepipe ever other round. Moved up to 124s or heavier and it ran like a top. Not one hiccup since moving up to heavier bullets.
I really like my micro 9 Kimber. It fits in my front pocket easily, jeans or dress slacks. It is so much easier to carry concealed than the commander sized 1911 I was carrying. It is a little snappy with self defense ammo though. JA

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
Have one as well, but then I like Kimber's in general. I tend to put a drop of gun oil on the slide where it intersects the frame on both my Kimbers as putting them in battery with the stock spring is pretty stiff. Kimber offers a dandy long gun, they call it a Mountain Ascent. On my bucket list in 300 WM. Guaranteed sub MOA at 100 but I don't know anyone who shoots 100 yards anyway. I can do sub MOA with my 460 XVR at 100 everyday.

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
Reactions: CajunBass

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like Kimbers too, but I can't say I have a lot of experience with them. I've got a Commander sized 45 (PC II) in 45. It's only been to the range once, but it shot well. The Micro 9, and a Micro 380. Now that one is a shooting little trick. Accurate, reliable, and as easy to carry as a pocket knife although I don't care for pocket carry at all. I've got a really nice little leather OWB holster that fits both the Micro 9 and 380. The only real difference in size is the 380 has a 1/2" or so shorter barrel.

In in Micro 9 I haven't had any problems SHOOTING any particular type of ammo. It's all functioned perfectly with the exception of one round of my reloads that needed a tap on the rear of the slide to go to full battery. I blame the ammo for that one.

What I had problems with was getting the first round chambered. 115 grain bullets, especially HP's wanted to hang on the feed ramp. It seemed their OAL was just a little too short. The 124's would "bridge" that gap a lot better. As it's worn in, I've noticed that problems seems to have corrected itself. I didn't have any trouble yesterday, I didn't even think about it until later. I've got some 115 grain dummy round/snap caps that now chamber just fine too. I've "heard" that Kimber says they need a couple hundred rounds to break in, and that they recommend at least 124 grain ammo.

Reactions: Sprintcar fan

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
My Kimbers have tight chambers so handloads have to be FL resized or they hang and won't eject properly.

Reactions: CajunBass
1 - 14 of 14 Posts