Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A revolver is not a pistol! Hold them properly with both hands behind the cylinder.

[youtube:3fu6ng7d]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu3RO3Lr4fM[/youtube:3fu6ng7d]

·
Registered
165 Posts
From the manual...

"Warning: Always keep your fingers away from the area between the cylinder and the barrel, during firing. Particles and hot gas will be forced out from between the barrel and cylinder in any revolver during normal use. Failure to follow this waring will cause serious personal injury."

One of the ranges here has a picture of a mangled thumb from the gasses spent from a revolver. A couple of the pics are on the pistol line. Thanks for posting the video. kfjdrfirii Too bad more people are unaware of safety. So many 1st timers buying guns with no manuals in pawn shops etc., and have no clue.
Brought to mind the guy that's sueing S&W after buying a 460 a while back. You all, I'm sure have seen that story.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thank you for the reminder! BTW... is that you in the video?

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Yup, myth busters did a show with the 460, they made fake fingers out of chicken bone and it tore them up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They also show it with a .22 rimfire..........don't cut as deep as the .44 mag but sure looked like it would give a nasty burn at the very least. kubvcabo

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Don't keep just your fingers away from the gap.
Keep everybody from standing in alignment with the cylinder gap beside the shooter too.
I was 18 and out shooting with one of my brothers. We were standing mostly side by side to each other but I guess I was a couple feet in front of his shooting position and about 4 feet to his side. Every time he fired I felt a sting on my face & neck.
It took 3 or 4 shots before I figured out exactly where it was coming from.
I was 4 feet to the side of him and getting flash burn from his cylinder gap every time he fired his revolver. Good thing I had hearing protection on.
I got home later that day and had 3 really nice stripes running down the side of my face & neck from each shot he took. I'll never do that again either. Silly me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
gearchecker said:
Don't keep just your fingers away from the gap.
Keep everybody from standing in alignment with the cylinder gap beside the shooter too.
I was 18 and out shooting with one of my brothers. We were standing mostly side by side to each other but I guess I was a couple feet in front of his shooting position and about 4 feet to his side. Every time he fired I felt a sting on my face & neck.
It took 3 or 4 shots before I figured out exactly where it was coming from.
I was 4 feet to the side of him and getting flash burn from his cylinder gap every time he fired his revolver. Good thing I had hearing protection on.
I got home later that day and had 3 really nice stripes running down the side of my face & neck from each shot he took. I'll never do that again either. Silly me.

You got powder burned from four feet? What caliber gun were you and your brother shooting?
Steve

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
My brother had a really well worn Colt Python .357. The cylinder gap was pretty substantial. After that day I wouldn't go shooting with him when he said he was taking it out to the range. He ended up sending to Colt to have it rebuilt about 2 years after that. I think he still has it. It shot well but it was really a hand full.
I had a Diamondback in .38 Special. I sold it in early 78' and haven't owned another handgun till this past January. Thanks to Mr. Obama, a great gun salesman if nothing else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I buy a revolver, the first thing I do is take a small paper bag and cut the bottom out of it and slide it over the revolver and my shooting hand. You can check the cylinder gap and cylinder alignment that way.

Sorry to say, the S&W 357 was the worst of any that I've ever did this to.

uj

·
Registered
415 Posts
John, you've got to be kidding? Much easier with a feeler gauge, check your guns this way and know for sure what the gap is.
Steve

·
Registered
561 Posts
I once fired a .22 derringer a girlfriend bought. Since the grip was so small, I used my left hand around the cylinder. YYyeeeeOwwwww. It felt like someone hit the palm of my hand w/ a 2x4.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Better get the Lawyers on the job to make sure warnings are engraved into you fav. new revolver. I laugh at folks when I see the hamburger finger syndrome.

I know,,, I have issues. :)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
You'll all find this hard to believe,
BUT...
The only shooter I know who actually DID fry an index finger and a thumb while 'gripping' the forcing-cone area is a...
LAWYER !
:lol: nfiofnp njgapjgj
Don

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
A buddy was shooting my Ruger Old Army (BP revolver) one day. I wasn't thinking when I saw him put his left hand on top of the fence post, then rest the gun over his hand.

BOOM.......OOOWWWWWWwwwwww OH XXXXX!!!
He was jumping around, shaking his left hand and cussing a blue streak.

Scared the snot out of me. I thought the gun had chain fired and blown his hand off.

Turns out of course the B/C gap flash had gotten him. On top of the flash, the pressure had driven unburned powder and hot "Bore Butter" (Over the cylinder mouths) into his hand like a tatto. He had little black specks in the top of his hand for a long time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts