Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Florida I have kayaked down 2 spring fed rivers on rentals. No gators, its way too cold for them. I've had manatees literally under me, was able to reach out and stroke their back as they swam by. Bring along a mask, snorkel, and some fins, and the fossil hunting can be pretty good.
I've taken quite a few other good rides in them too over the years. Never have I had a bad time in a kayak. They are even easier than a canoe. So after thinking about it for about 5 years now, yesterday I bought one, at the annual Beans boat sale. There is an outlet in Concord NH. Paid $367.20 for a boat with an msrp of $869. Ya think? ;)
Got an Old Town Dirigo 106 angler model, it has a couple of built in rod holders on it, cup holder, adjustable seat, 2 water tight storage compartments. I have some friends who fish the mouth of the Merrimack down in Newburyport and out along the shore there for stripers with kayaks using fly rods. They always come back with huge grins on their faces, and stories of hooking in to good sized fish, which then takes them on a ride for a while, while they play it and reel it in. I can tell they are having tons of fun.
There are 2 lakes in NH with northern pike, so theres maybe a fresh water version of the same activity. Trout ponds, smaller rivers, lakes etc., along with Great Bay-there can be good striper fishing there too.
Plus its good excersize, something I need more of. No its not a Boston Whaler, but while I am younger and can still undertake one, heck why not?
Any of you all own a kayak?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geoff,

I have the Old Town K-111 'Predator'.... it's 8'-6", ABS, set up to fish & hunt (Camo'd) and very stable.

I've had mine on several small ponds and also tributarys of the big lake.... alot of fun.

I have a pal who fly fishes for Stripers on the Dunstan & Spurwink Rivers and he says that it's the closest thing to a Nantucket Sleigh Ride this side of Captain Ahab!

Bring your boat over and we'll get some fishing in.... either that or we should do the Connecticut River from Canaan to Colebrook..... I've always wanted to paddle that water....

Drew

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear there is some really excellent fishing in the upper Connecticut up there. You wouldn't have to ask twice amigo!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There is a lake/state park not too far from here that my wife and i frequent often in the summer. Kayak rentals are very reasonable there. Very calm waters, scenic, great exercise, they don't allow fishing though. it is time well spent together.
Right next to where the Camillus cutlery (RIP) used to be, is Camillus Kayak Shop. Haven't stopped in yet. Don't know if they are made there or just sold there. Regardless, we have talked about buying our own, the Oswego River is right up the road from us, and has some interesting currents. Not necessarily white water, but not still water either...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
An old friend has several kayaks and I lend him my sailboat - so I occasionally get the use of one. Fine for me - I've never owned one, but I've gotten in on some interesting outdoor adventures.

The most fun I've had in a kayak has been in salt and brackish water. They are fabulous for putting you in a good place to fish!

Here is a kayak 'site I frequent. I know that it's focused on Texas, but there is a lot of universal kayak info exchanged here:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/

xtm

·
Registered
238 Posts
Geoff40 said:
In Florida I have kayaked down 2 spring fed rivers on rentals. No gators, its way too cold for them. I've had manatees literally under me, was able to reach out and stroke their back as they swam by. Bring along a mask, snorkel, and some fins, and the fossil hunting can be pretty good.
Sounds like either Santa Fe River or Ichetucknee Springs to me.
I was on the Santa Fe last weekend with my father who lives 10 mins away.
Kayaks are a lot of fun and open up a lot of activities but I still prefer a good Royalex canoe.
WFR

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI for all
A Nantucket sleigh ride: In the days of whaling off the New England coast, the boats used were rowed with oars with several pairs employed by hands while the harpoon man rode the bow. They would approach a whale and throw a harpoon. If it found it's mark the whale would generally sound and the attached rope would feed over the side of the boat until the end. At that point the whale would be pulling against the resistance of the boat, and the boat with the crew in it would go for a Nantucket sleigh ride. Sometimes the outcome was anything but good. The idea was the whale would soon tire out and come up again, and more harpoons would be thrown. Etc.
Just a little trivia for you all...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I own a Pamlico XL. It's a 16 footer. I didn't have it long before I sold my canoe. The kayak was much more stable. The nice thing about the Pamlico is that it can be paddled but it also has an electric motor that can be guided by foot control.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sounds like those whalers turned them selves and there boat into a bobber for a whale.That would be one hell of a ride.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Well Geoff I finally figured out how to use these neat new Thule Racks the kids gave me last year and just finished putting the Kayak on the top of the Tahoe.... going out for a the first spin of the season..... headed down to the big lake and see if I can pick up a bass or two.

After a couple of day outings I should be ready to try that trip to the Upper Connecticut..... how's about you?

Drew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts