Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A person I know has an older K38 that belonged to his grandfather. From his description of it, it sounds to be in excellent condition. I'm concerned about what he's using to shoot in it. He's shooting rat shot to shot pigeons in a barn. Is there any harm or precaution in shooting rat shot in it? I am somewhat concerned about shooting rat shot in it because of leading and no lube. If it was not a somewhat collectable and belonging to his grandfather, I wouldn't think much about it.

Thanks

Joe

·
Premium Member
11,469 Posts
Not an expert but if he cleans it it should present no issue

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I've shot a LOT of rat-shot in my 8-3/8" K22 to scare off coons & red squirrels. No leading problems, but beyond about 20', you're just making noise.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
A person I know has an older K38 that belonged to his grandfather. From his description of it, it sounds to be in excellent condition. I'm concerned about what he's using to shoot in it. He's shooting rat shot to shot pigeons in a barn. Is there any harm or precaution in shooting rat shot in it? I am somewhat concerned about shooting rat shot in it because of leading and no lube. If it was not a somewhat collectable and belonging to his grandfather, I wouldn't think much about it.

Thanks

Joe
The plastic capsule is usually the only thing that touches the bore. I like to load 3 #1 Buck shot in 38 Speer Shot Capsules. Like being hit with 3 22 WMR at once

1 - 6 of 6 Posts