Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as I get older I get dumber but curiousyer! Am a newbie here but have enjoyed lurking for quite some time. Thanks to all of the posters.
I'm wondering the difference between the K22 and the K22/32 kit gun. Is there a difference?

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, there is a lot of difference. First, the .22/32 has no K because it is an I frame or after about 1961, a J frame. The K-22 is a .22 caliber, 6 or more shot revolver built on the mid-sized K frame. The .22/32 is a .22 caliber, 6 shot revolver built on the small sized, .32 caliber, I frame or J frame. The first .22/32 was built around 1911 and the first K-22 was built around 1931.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It appears the 22/32 is more cherished as a collectible. Though as a valued shooter I presume the K22 will be as pretty and perform as well but be slightly heavier. Any reason not to convince the wife a K22 would be a great purchase at a more reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
The K-22 Masterpiece is as sought after a collectible as the .22/32 Kit Gun or a .22/32 Heavy Frame Target. In similar condition, they sell in the same ballpark with the K-22 selling for slightly more unless the .22/32 is an early Bekeart model. Personally, the K-22 is a better target revolver. It has better sights, balance and grips. However, it has a 6" barrel and the Kit guns have either 4" or 2" barrels and are easier to carry. YMMV.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm also new to S&W revolver's! The K22 has me thinking I need one! There was one in my gun shop about 6 month ago. I wish I had picked it up! I'll keep my eye out for one of these old beauty's! This forum has helped me emmensly! There lot's of knowledge here! I'm really enjoying my early 1980's S&W 66-2! My first shot was a bullseye! My worst shot was in the 9 ring! Very happy with the accuracy of my first double action revolver!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome for the forum! Glad to have you with us.

A K-22 is a good shooter, and provided you are well supplied on 22 ammo, a cheaper alternative to expensive Center Fire ammo.
I picked up one from 1952, about a month ago, for $575.00. Mine was sitting in a little gun shop, on consignment, and had been for some time.
From a collector's stand point its not as pretty as it needs to be, but for a shooter class gun its just right.
It has some light scratches, and a little blue loss, but a very gracefully aged piece, and I dont feel guilty about shooting it or even poking it in a holster.
It seems to prefer target ammo. While it will shoot Federal Bulk pack, and Auto Match very well, there was a noticeable improvement in the SK Target.
Provided you can find one of these for sale, at a decent price.... and that was my troubles... You wont be disappointed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome for the forum! Glad to have you with us.

A K-22 is a good shooter, and provided you are well supplied on 22 ammo, a cheaper alternative to expensive Center Fire ammo.
I picked up one from 1952, about a month ago, for $575.00. Mine was sitting in a little gun shop, on consignment, and had been for some time.
From a collector's stand point its not as pretty as it needs to be, but for a shooter class gun its just right.
It has some light scratches, and a little blue loss, but a very gracefully aged piece, and I dont feel guilty about shooting it or even poking it in a holster.
It seems to prefer target ammo. While it will shoot Federal Bulk pack, and Auto Match very well, there was a noticeable improvement in the SK Target.
Provided you can find one of these for sale, at a decent price.... and that was my troubles... You wont be disappointed!
A K-22 from the 50s for $575.00 is a great find no matter how you look at it, especially right now!

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
IMHO, if you intend to become a competent revolver shooter, you do not need a K22 (or model 17), you absolutely must have one. They will teach you a lot about shooting.

·
Registered
26,210 Posts
My 2 K-22 Masterpieces are shooters in VG shape. Both were bought (years apart) for $600 each.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I'm struggling with prying open the pocket book. Is 695.00 reasonable for a K22 "with replacement grips, excellent bore, and some finish wear"?
Can't really say without pictures. For a 2nd model, it would be a steal. For a later gun maybe. maybe not.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Internet ad so I can't fondle it and am don't know how to transfer pics. But I do have the serial #K45415. Is it possible to tell model by s/n?
It's a postwar gun from 1948. If it's reasonably nice, that price would be in the ballpark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts