1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The reason I mentioned it was because back in the early '80s I purchased a new 66-1 from a LGS and it is P & R. I guess that was during the transition of doing away with the P & R guns for S & W.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Nice selection of K & L frames. This is one of my favorite L frames. I just finished cleaning it while sitting on my deck enjoying the beautiful evening. It’s 74 degrees with low humidity. About perfect.
49D26BE0-6879-4BBA-8359-66D8F873D7E3.jpeg

CD432710-D62E-4670-A4D2-B6D47EB4F449.jpeg

Had brass out drying all day too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice selection of K & L frames. This is one of my favorite L frames. I just finished cleaning it while sitting on my deck enjoying the beautiful evening. It’s 74 degrees with low humidity. About perfect.Had brass out drying all day too.
I agree that your short barreled 686 is just about perfect! And it looks great with those grips.

·
Registered
21,035 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought all 66-1 were pinned, in 1981. When they did away with the pinned barrel, and the recessed cylinder, it was an engineering change in 1981, making it a 66-2. Maybe they made some 66-1 frames, and cylinders and used them to make the early 66-2 guns. S&W is a 'little shaky' on the transition guns. :unsure: Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought all 66-1 were pinned, in 1981. When they did away with the pinned barrel, and the recessed cylinder, it was an engineering change in 1981, making it a 66-2. Maybe they made some 66-1 frames, and cylinders and used them to make the early 66-2 guns. S&W is a 'little shaky' on the transition guns. :unsure: Bob
I've seen a lot of "transition guns" on the forums, and not just M66's. The engineering change occurred starting around 1981 for all P&R magnums, as well as the pinned non magnums, and was pretty much completed by late 1982 as old stock was depleted. On a P&R transition, you might see a non-pinned barrel and a recessed cylinder, or a pinned barrel and a non-recessed cylinder, although I believe those are less common due to the size difference (length) of the recessed vs. non-recessed cylinder and the fitting it required.

Does the OP's M66-1 have a recessed cylinder?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen a lot of "transition guns" on the forums, and not just M66's. The engineering change occurred starting around 1981 for all P&R magnums, as well as the pinned non magnums, and was pretty much completed by late 1982 as old stock was depleted. On a P&R transition, you might see a non-pinned barrel and a recessed cylinder, or a pinned barrel and a non-recessed cylinder, although I believe those are less common due to the size difference (length) of the recessed vs. non-recessed cylinder and the fitting it required.

Does the OP's M66-1 have a recessed cylinder?
Yes, the cylinder is recessed.

·
Registered
21,035 Posts
It was done originally to give the 'heavy magnum' cartridges (.357 & .44) extra support for the cases. It is worth a little more nowadays, because it no longer done. M-66's are no longer made, also. They are worth premium prices, today! Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
M-66's are no longer made, also. They are worth premium prices, today! Bob
Unless they discontinued them again, the M66-8 was reintroduced in 2014. As someone who doesn't care for many of the changes S&W has made in their designs since the turn of the 21st century, I don't consider many of the reintroduced, or Classic Series as the same gun as those made in pre-lock days. I don't follow what S&W produces nowadays, my interest only lies in pre 1982 guns, those made before the barrels were unpinned and the magnum cylinders were no longer recessed, and before the L frame was even manufactured. Not to say that later guns are less good, it just seems that past that time there became a significant shift in manufacturing, being more an assembly line process with less and less hand craftsmanship.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts