Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!
I have a K 22 Outdoorsman # 6362XX which I believe is very early in the series.This was a gift from a friend. She found it neglected under her car seat, frozen up and lightly rusted.(not her doing) I stripped it, cleaned it and cold blued it. Although no longer the beauty it once was it shoots and functions flawlessly. I am having one minor problem that I am hoping for some feedback on.Having tried several different after market stocks they all seem to need much more fitting than expected. Is there some variation in the K frames? All the stocks are too bulky, leaving ridges down the back of the grip.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It is my understanding that in the previous century, all the S&W revolvers had grips individually fitted to the frames, so one would not necessarily fit on another frame. That is why they, the grips, were numbered to the frame. Not sure when he practice ceased.

·
Premium Member
20,775 Posts
Until recent times, all stocks were hand fitted to the gun to adjust for variations in manufacture. That is one reason the stocks were stamped with the serial number - so they could be replaced on the correct gun. However, it has been my experience that most stocks in the right frame size fit fairly well. If you have big ridges or valleys, perhaps you have N frame stocks instead of K frame. Post some pictures of the fit so we can see how bad it is.

**Strawhat beat me to it :D**

Reactions: coiler666

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Wow, prewar 1st model K22? What a wonderful gift!
And it was found hiding under a car seat!!!! To heck with the stocks not fitting, how about trading with me for a nice 17-3 that have stocks that fit?

Seriously though, I'd would love to find something like that under my car seat, but since I drive a 2013 Accord, I'd expect to find something more like a Taurus Judge. :D
Think I'll go shop around for an old LaSalle.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, perhaps I'm too fussy about such things, but I just couldn't live with the way grips fit. They are definitely K stocks. One set is Houge and the other is a nice wood set that is patterned much the same as the rubber Houge set.
I didn't realize the original stocks were hand fitted. I guess I will have to follow in the footsteps of original craftsmen! It will be about a month before I get time, but pictures will be posted as soon as I get it completed. Thanks.
PS. I didn't know just what a treasure I had been given until several years later, as I started learning more about S&Ws.

·
Premium Member
20,775 Posts
If you are going to sand down some grips, please don't sand the ones pictured. They're nice enough to bring some $$$ if sold. BTW, were those the grips on her when you got her? If so, look inside the right panel for the SN. If the SN matches, they are original to the gun. I know that N frame grip frames are smaller on the pre-WWII guns. I'm not sure about the K frames, but that could be why aftermarket grips don't fit well. I have some ivory grips for a pre-war K frame. They don't fit my post-war K frames very well. I need to find a pre-war to try them on.

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
Very nice old gun and good that you saved it. Would work on aftermarket grips but as stated, the grips in the picture are nice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stocks pictured are the originals numbered to the gun. They have a few dings, mostly around bottom edge. I take this gun with me whenever I go hiking or on a road trip. I want to be prepared dispatch those rabid tin cans at all times!
Replacing the stocks is 75% about preserving the originals and 25% getting a better fit for my hand.
Here in Western WA a nice model 17 is around $750+ and not seen on the market very often. The older models all seem to be safe at home with their current guardians. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts