Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been about twenty years since I worked on a revolver. I recently received several from my father. I can not for the life of me get the cylinder to release on one of the model 19s. I have tried oil and tried to tighten the rod while still in cased. I have given up, swallowed my pride and need some advice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
That has happened to me a couple of times. Remove the stocks and soak the gun in a solvent (make sure you don't damage the finish). I have also had to remove the side plate and take out all of the "innards" to better "push" on the cylinder. I have also taken it to a local gunsmith.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I assume that you are aware that the ejector rod has reverse threads unless it is very old. This change occurred in the early to mid 60’s as I recall. Once the cylinder is opened, It is very important to support the extractor by inserting several empty cartridge cases in the cylinder to protect the the tiny guide pins that engage the extractor as you tighten the rod. If you shear them off, the extractor will spin freely and you will have a serious problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts