Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The Model 15-3 Combat Masterpiece was shipped in 1972. It is wearing cheap Jay Scott plastic faux bone grips (ugh!). Please look in the box for the original wooden, non-diamond magnas that should be on it. It is good you have the box and papers. There should also be a fluted aluminum handle sight adjustment tool (screwdriver) with the gun as well as cleaning rod, mop and brush. That would make a complete package and enhance the value of the package.

These are the type of stocks that should be on the gun.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
Hey Frog,

Way to go!

Pic of a FANTASTIC M -15...on your first post!

Welcome to S&W!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
416 Posts
Frogger,

Welcome to the forum! Your wife has a pretty common, but still wonderful piece of Smith and Wesson art, that seems to be in very..... very.... nice original condition.
These are wonderful range, or home defense guns, that will last a lifetime. A 38 revolver is perfect for a beginning shooter, either man or woman. Since your wife has not shot this gun, yet..... hopefully you can get her to pull the trigger, one of these days. Unlike a Semi-Auto, there is no heavy slide to have to rack, so they are easy to load for anyone with reduced strength in their hands.
Best of all.... A revolver will not deposit hot brass down the front of her shirt. Yes it does happen...

If you can find them, a box of 148 grain wad cutters is probably the perfect thing to break her in on, as they are light loaded, and accurate.
Any 38 special ammo will get the job done, but the +P ammo is un-necessary, for range duty.

My wife has a Mod 10.... the same gun, but with fixed sights for her bedside gun.. She shoots it well, and most importantly, has a flawless understanding of how to safely load and unload it.

If you have the original pieces that were mentioned, that is great, and would absolutely increase the value, to a collector.
However, If you don't, and want to return the gun to original style grips, there are a lot of grips on Ebay.

Also a great place to look, is in the Box-O-Parts, at an older gun shop. About every shop that has been around anytime will have a box or two of misc parts that some times includes take off grips, extra mags, and other items that often are too good to toss, but they are not sure what to do with. Of course you have to get their before others, from this Forum get there.. :)
A nice set of original style grips should be able to be purchased for less than $50.00, and would return the 15 to its original beauty.

Enjoy that gun in good heath!

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we don't have the original hand grip.
It's a great gun and yours is in fantastic condition! Wiregrassguy's picture of the proper stocks (grips) are not hard to find, try Ebay or Gunbroker. Because the year your revolver was distributed, the stocks did NOT have the diamond relief, which are more expensive to buy. Good luck and welcome to the Forum, stick around!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That is a very nice Model 15 you/your wife has there. I go back and forth between the Model 15 and the Model 19 (357 Magnum version of the same basic gun) as to which I like best. Since this is about the Model 15, I like that one best. It does seem to balance better, being a little lighter than the Model 19. Those Jay Scott grips were all the rage there for a while. I see them on a lot of guns.

I've always thought the name, "Combat Masterpiece" was the maybe the best name ever for a handgun, with Colt's "Peacemaker" running neck and neck with it.

Reactions: 45acp230
1 - 11 of 11 Posts