Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a shooter grade K-22 for quite some time. I own my father's K-22 which shipped in Nov 1947 and I am trying to keep the number of rounds through it down. But it is so much fun to use. So I finally found a reasonably priced (IMHO) K-22 and purchase it. Hopefully I will have it in my hands next week and will post some photos of it.

Roy has told me it shipped in April 1957 so my now two K-22's are ten years apart. I have plenty of .22lr ammo so I hope to get to know this new gun soon.

I will not keep the targets on it as I'm sure they are not original

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought this box last year. The s/n on the bottom of the box indicates the gun was made in 1956. So my new K-22 will have a good home.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I put over 25,000 rounds through a K22 that I bought new in 1977. The only part that wore out after that many rounds was the crane. The flange which contacts the retaining screw became dished from so many opening and closings of the cylinder that it allowed the cylinder to move forward and contact the barrel. This wasn't a problem shooting single action but the double action pull became worse. S&W fixed it for free. That was in the early '90s. At the same time, I had them replace the 8 3/8" barrel with a 6". They returned the 8 3/8" barrel and it looks like new inside.

Moral of the story? I wouldn't hesitate to shoot your father's gun. If anything, it's probably more durable than my '70s issue M17.

·
Premium Member
13,678 Posts
After several years, I found a 4 inch K-22 Masterpiece from 1953 a few years ago. These are such high precision .22LR revolvers that it's a different experience shooting them as compared to semi-autos like my Model 41 or Ruger Mark series pistols.

I'm thankful that S&W at the time put such high levels of precision and workmanship into a .22LR revolver. No shortcuts. No reduced costs. Just full on S&W quality in your hands - with practically no recoil.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After several years, I found a 4 inch K-22 Masterpiece from 1953 a few years ago. These are such high precision .22LR revolvers that it's a different experience shooting them as compared to semi-autos like my Model 41 or Ruger Mark series pistols.

I'm thankful that S&W at the time put such high levels of precision and workmanship into a .22LR revolver. No shortcuts. No reduced costs. Just full on S&W quality in your hands - with practically no recoil.
I'm envious. The K22 CM is still on my bucket list. I have two Model 18's but I want a K22CM.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have been looking for a shooter grade K-22 for quite some time. I own my father's K-22 which shipped in Nov 1947 and I am trying to keep the number of rounds through it down. But it is so much fun to use. So I finally found a reasonably priced (IMHO) K-22 and purchase it. Hopefully I will have it in my hands next week and will post some photos of it.

Roy has told me it shipped in April 1957 so my now two K-22's are ten years apart. I have plenty of .22lr ammo so I hope to get to know this new gun soon.

View attachment 499956

I will not keep the targets on it as I'm sure they are not original
The revolver was probably shipped with numbered magnas. Most were. I have a 1956 vintage K22 that has unrelieved diamond center target stocks and a target hammer, so I sent for a letter. I also have a pre 15, 38 Combat Masterpiece with the very same options, and it is lettered to be 100% correct. I am hoping the K22 letters with those options. Big Larry
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Ammunition

·
Registered
558 Posts
BL, that is a real beauty. I seem to find revolvers that have lost there box along the. Got start looking in different neighborhoods! Hank
Thanks. I try to get the boxes with my guns, but that is not paramount. What is, is finding them with matching stocks.
I won't buy a gun unless the stocks are numbered to the gun, but the target stocks are not numbered, so a letter is the only way to tell. They are $100 now. FWIW, the pictured revolver has never been fired since it left S&W. Thanks, Big Larry

·
Registered
30,038 Posts
Congrats on scoring that gem.

Reactions: K22

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked up the K-22 Masterpiece today. Made the trip okay. First thing I did was wipe it down with a silicone rag, then I removed the Rosewood target stocks and put on a pair of Magna's. Now it fits my hand nicely. Seems to be in pretty good shape. The barrel needs some bore cleaner down it but should clean up nicely. Finish is not bad; the last inch or so of the barrel looks to have holster wear and some marking on it. The action is extremely smooth. Looks like a new trigger as it is smooth and the metal looks different from the hammer. It was a tight fit with the box. The s/n of the K-22 is within 7,000 of the s/n on the bottom of the box so the box may well belong to a 1957 shipped K-22.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I did read in the SCS&W Ed 3 that smooth triggers were available for the K-22. The hammer is a .375" semi-target and the smooth trigger looks to be a .312" smooth trigger. Both were offered with the Model 17 but not clear if they were for the K-22. Possibly since this K-22 is an April 1957 shipment it got some of the Model 17 components but not the Model stamping. ??? I guess a letter from Roy would tell me the configuration but not sure if it is worth the money as this is a shooter not a collector.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Doubtful a letter will tell you about the trigger. Just the standard stuff, blue, 6" bbl. and whether or not it was shipped with those target stocks and who it was shipped to. It is a plain Jane shooter, and may not be worth the $100 for a letter. I myself doubt that the trigger is original. It does seem to have its original speed hammer. It is not in collectible condition, and spending another $100 on a letter is entirely up to you. Big Larry

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doubtful a letter will tell you about the trigger. Just the standard stuff, blue, 6" bbl. and whether or not it was shipped with those target stocks and who it was shipped to. It is a plain Jane shooter, and may not be worth the $100 for a letter. I myself doubt that the trigger is original. It does seem to have its original speed hammer. It is not in collectible condition, and spending another $100 on a letter is entirely up to you. Big Larry
I tend to agree with you but I did get a letter from him on a 10-1 and it specified the hammer size but not the trigger size. I think I will save the $100 and put it in my K-32 purchase nest egg. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I tend to agree with you but I did get a letter from him on a 10-1 and it specified the hammer size but not the trigger size. I think I will save the $100 and put it in my K-32 purchase nest egg. ;)
If you send for a letter, it will tell you if the hammer and trigger were indeed targets. I have a factory letter on a 1957 K38 that states target hammer, target trigger, and magna stocks, and that it was not shipped with the target stocks that were on it when I got it. Nice pair of unrelieved stocks though.
You never know when a nice K32 will show up. I bought mine for a very good price off the Blue Forum a few years back. Big Larry

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The K-22 cleaned up nice and the bore is shiny with good ridges. It does have a jig hole in the butt frame which surprised me; I thought they were gone by 1957. I put PC's on as it makes the revolver fit into the box better.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts