Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
647947, shipped to Sutcliffe Hardware Co, Louisville, KY on January 29, 1935. It shipped with a Marble Ivory Bead front sight and U-notch rear. I have wanted one of these for quite a while and this one fills the need very nicely. It also came with its original box and four-page brochure. It was billed at $24.41 (distributor cost).

Bill

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Oh No Bill....

Hope you haven't been bitten by the K-22 Bug.... There is, afterall, no cure for the disease that follows.... :p

Nice early Outdoorsman's and as usual, spectacular photography.

Thanks for putting this up!

Drew

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm almost afraid to open one of your posts. I can't imagine ever seeing anything as nice here in this corner of the world where Winchesters and Colts rule.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Awe Doc your killing me, I just missed out on one, obviously not like yours, but a nice K-22.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Bill, To get one in that condition, is absolutely remarkable! That's 75 years old......and still like new! You must lead a charmed life, my friend. :mrgreen: Bob

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The "K-22" OUTDOORS-MAN'S REVOLVER, my absolute favorite S&W model, and yours is a superb example! I'm glad you posted the paperwork so I can remember the proper name for it.

Did it come with the $1000 sight-adjustment tool? :lol:

xtm

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xtm...no accessories but the brochure. I have owned a couple of the pre-war sight adjustment tools, but let them go to other collectors who focus on pre-war guns. I bought this particular K-22 because it had the Marble Ivory front sight and U-notch rear sight. This model normally shipped with a Patridge, although I have seen many fitted with a Call Brilliant front sight and square-notch rear sight.

Bill

·
Registered
497 Posts
Wow. That was well cared for over the years. It is also a great series of pictures. My Outdoorsman looks pedestrian and ancient compared to yours. Congrats on the neat features.

·
Registered
155 Posts
brilliant as per usual, Doc.

I love the brochure extolling the virtues of brain shots and getting pelts without damage.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Bill
That is a very Nice Outdoorsman example you have there. I came across the One shown about Four Years ago. A Vendor had it at a Local Gun show and told me it was his personal gun. He said his reason to be offering it was that Hurricane Hugo tore his garage roof off, and he did not have insurance to cover the repairs. He had it Priced at $1300.00 for Just The revolver with it's original serial numbered grips. I offered him an unfired 19-3 Nickel revolver and a Nickel refinished K-22 In trade and he accepted my offer.

I felt I could not improve on condition as all the Ones I had seen prior to this, which were not often looked well aged and used. I recently received the Box shown with it from forum member Ralph Greer. Ralph and I were in a Local Gun shop In Boston last year during the S&WCA meeting in Sturbridge when I first saw it, as I was speaking with the owner of that shop about K-22 Outdoorsmans he came back out of the back room with the red box in his hand but would not price it.

Ralph worked on him after I left and recently sent it to me. I was very Pleased to be able to add the box with the gun even though it did not come with it they are not easy to find from that time period. I have the first page of The brochure you show that came out of a Magazine, but I was not aware there was more to it. Would it be asking to Much for you to show us what else was printed in that brochure ? One other question I have for you, is did these revolver's come with the "Pre-War Helpful Hint's" Brochure ? Here is my Outdoorsman that shipped In September 1936. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hammerdown....Very nice K-22 and box. I don't know if these revolvers came with the Helpful Hints brochure or not, but you could ask Roy as he will most likely know. The brochure that came with the K-22 I purchased is four pages and printed on a wax-type paper. Whether it came with the gun originally, or was added later, I don't know, but it is a nice feature.

If you send me your mailing address, I would be happy to mail you a copy.

Bill

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Bill
Thanks for your Gracious Offer and I am Looking forward to seeing you in Troy. Best regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
489 Posts
Both of the K-22 Outdoorsman's Revolvers in this thread are outstanding. After spending a couple of years going after centerfire models, I have recently turned my attention to the S&W .22 RF guns of the '30s and '40s. Next week I will have in my hands and be able to show off a .22/32 kit gun that shipped in 1938. Pics and description then. So far I have been picking up I-frame rimfires, but I know there is a K-22 in my future.

I am going to have to start looking for one of these, but I doubt I would have the courage to spring for one as nice as what we see here. I'd like to have a specimen that is at least a little rough so I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it.

Absolute beauties, both of these.

David Wilson

·
Registered
489 Posts
Now I have my own 1934 K-22 Outdoorsman!

Well, it is almost five months since my previous post in this thread, and just a couple of weeks ago I managed to realize the dream I expressed at that time. Here's my K-22 Outdoorsman with a finish in a condition I estimate at 97-98%. The gun shipped in April of 1934. I didn't get a box with this one, but I am still extremely pleased with it. I haven't shot it yet, but will.

I recently acquired a K-rimfire humpback hammer, so I will give it a trial installation on this gun at some point. I also have an original K-frame grip adapter that should be tried out here.

David Wilson

G

·
0 Posts
Definitley impressed with the revolvers being shown.

Amazed though that Doc could still say, "I have wanted one of these for quite a while and this one fills the need very nicely."

Didn't think it was possible he could have a gap in his collection. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts