Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dave,

Hope you weren't seriously thinking of hitting the "Buy It Now" button.... :shock:

Mistmatched stocks, wrong box (geeeeeee, wonder what happened to the origional serial number?), high round Count ("I have spent many hours enjoying the accuracy of this one!"), extra hole in the frame....

All this for only twice what the gun is worth.....

But if it's something you really like, find a cheaper one locally and I can whip you up one of those "Historically Correct" grip adaptors in my basement....

Drew

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly NOT Drew,

Just a curiosity that I've never seen before. Is that a Smith product?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Dave,
It's an aftermarket adapter, with at least two drilled and tapped mounting points.
Might have been hand-fabricated.
Chances are it works very well indeed.
That, coupled with the King front sight, indicates a pretty serious bullseye-shooter's gun.
Remember, in the good old days people had a tendency to actually use their guns, and individual modifications were quite popular.
The condition of that gun shows an owner's TLC, and IMHO that modification makes as much sense as trying to turn a 38/44 HD into a Third Model Hand Ejector.
Different strokes for different folks...
:lol:
Don

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Swgunner said:
Certainly NOT Drew,

Just a curiosity that I've never seen before. Is that a Smith product?
Dave,

Never have seen anything like that in any S&W Catalog, certainly not any since the 1930's. Interestingly I have one similar to it mounted on a 1917, but it has been silver soldered in place.

The only time that I can remember seeing anything in factory print like that is in the H&R catalog for their Model 999 revolvers.

Don,

You are so right about the "using' aspect of this modification, but I seriously doubt that it adds to the collectability and monetary value of this K-22.

Between us boys I think this guy's off his rocker at that price for a "dikked-with", mis-matched gun.

Drew

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you think the chances are that it was installed by King's when the sight blade was done. They were into target "customization". All this gun needs now is a cockeyed hammer.

Dave

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Swgunner said:
"... All this gun needs now is a cockeyed hammer.

Dave"
.... and a $1000 price reduction.

I've not seen anything like that in the pre-war King's catalogs I've perused. Post war either....

·
Registered
73 Posts
A couple of months ago I got a lead on a Registered Magnum that was in a local dealers case. I hustled out to look it over and immediately saw that the gun, although an otherwise nice one, had a hole in the curve of the strap exactly where the top screw is in this one. (There was no second hole where it is in the one pictured here.) It was obvious that the hole had been for attachment of a grip adapter of some sort. My interest was immediately cooled and I didn't even inquire how they had the gun priced.

I imagine that many gunsmiths may have crafted adapters similar to this one. Grip adapters were popular accessories that really did improve the handling of the revolver. When you think about it, it is no different than modifying a hammer spur or trigger. Today we frown on these "invasive" procedures. We're more tolerant of trigger shoes and modified grips because they can be reversed more easily, but those who modified the guns considered all of those changes to be improvements and a lot of that was done in those days.

Bob

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Bob,
The closer to the 'finish line' I get, the less critical of period modifications I become.
The Roper and Sanderson grips, the King sights and hammers, vent-ribs and etc., all make the guns a tad more interesting.
I started thinning out my herd last year, and found that, even in the Registered Magnums, the ones I keep are either 'big provenance' or 'different' examples.
Just saw a plain-Jane, 6-1/2" RM trade on AA for 5 large and some change, and it was a real nice gun.
There was a time when that very type lived here, and was special to me.
Any more, I just don't see the personality, and for me that's a big deal.
You see one perfect gun, you've seen 'em all.
Never used, worth too much (allegedly) to ever use, and a big 'anchor' in the safe.
Not every period mod is a good one, and they don't all appeal to me.
HOWEVER...
I don't run from them like I did when I was real young and real critical ;)
Don

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don,

Since I'm probably leading you to the "finish line", I'll say that I'm in complete agreement. The same changes have occurred in my collecting. Had that gun that I looked at still had the "customized grip adapter" attached, I would have been all over it. As it was, I had no idea just what it might have looked like so I had no chance to return it to the condition in which the original owner had used it.

In fact, those guns that have period "customization" or some significant provenance really are the ones which light my fire. If I don't reach that "finish line" before the SWCA national show in Troy MI in about a month, I will have a display of some Pre-War Magnums which incorporate those collecting goals.

For instance, this one will be on the table. It was shipped with a full King treatment...King reflector ramp front sight, a King no. 112 rear sight, a double "cockeyed" hammer, and best of all, the famous King short action. At some time a little later some hard to satisfy user who wasn't satisfied with that had it all scratched up and put these "worm eaten" grips on it. Just no explaining some folk's taste.

Bob

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have to agree with DHENRY on this one. No one is twisting the buyers arm here. Drew's junk could often turn out to be some of my treasure , if I could afford it.
Remember the King's new clothes. My $.02.
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts