Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
i am new to the forum and would appreciate some information on a revolver I inherited from my father. It appears to be a k22 outdoorsman (with box), 4 screw, serial #661149. Any information would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.
Rodney

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Three fords your k22 outdoorsman was made in about 1938.Depending on condition you have a very valuable gun.Your dad left you one of the best. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,

I am also new to the forum. I have a K-22 Masterpiece (Outdoorsman?) with gold color box w/ blue writing. The gun has SN 138950 and appears to have original grips. I acquired it from my grandfathers estate. Cylinder and frame SN match. There are four frame screws on the Made in USA side. Under "Made in USA" it states : Marcas Registradas
Smith & Wesson
Springfield, MASS

There is slight wear of bluing on extracter slide and muzzle. I was wondering year of manufacture and estimated value sight unseen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
tazzy1 said:
Hello all,

I am also new to the forum. I have a K-22 Masterpiece (Outdoorsman?) with gold color box w/ blue writing. The gun has SN 138950 and appears to have original grips. I acquired it from my grandfathers estate. Cylinder and frame SN match. There are four frame screws on the Made in USA side. Under "Made in USA" it states : Marcas Registradas
Smith & Wesson
Springfield, MASS

There is slight wear of bluing on extracter slide and muzzle. I was wondering year of manufacture and estimated value sight unseen.

Does it have the letter "K" in front of the number?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No it does not. I can not find a K within or before any numbers. The photos on other k-22s on this forum look like this one.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hi Tazzy1,
A warm welcome to the forum. welcome01

The official serial number is on the butt and if your gun has target grips you would have to take them off to see the serial number. Granted the number without the K will be on the underside of the barrel and rear face of the cylinder. The number given would be too low for the original K22 outdoorsman without the rib on the top of the barrel. Yours should be Post War and date around 1952 and the gold box would be original. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hi threefords,

A warm welcome to you also. welcome01

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I will remove the grips and look there. I feel that the grips are original as well and look as though they have never been removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jimg11,

I found out what exactly I have. It is a S&W 22/32 Berkeart Model. There is a number on the bottom of the grip "885". It originated with a San Francisco S&W dealer named Phil Bekeart, who in 1910 special-ordered 1000 revolvers chambered for the .22 LR with six-inch barrels and adjustable target sights built on the "heavy" (for a .22 rimfire) .32 Hand Ejector frame--hence the long-standing ".22/32" and "Heavy-Frame Target" labels in S&W's small-frame .22 revolver. Each of the Berkeart models were marked with a serial number on the bottom of the grip. S&W started production of these revolvers in 1911, and ended production in 1941. I need to get a Jink's History to make sure. Have any more info. I would post a pick but I am not authorized to do so on the forum.

Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts