Smith And Wesson Forums banner

K-22 Masterpiece (pre-model 17)

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  K22 
#1 ·
I came across a beautiful K-22 Masterpiece that is pristine. It does not have the original grips. However, the hammer and trigger are jeweled. They are professional looking with exact swirles that don't overlap. I have been told that was a factory option. Can someone with knowledge of these older revolvers provide some insight on whether or not the factory provided this option?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! To my knowledge, engine turning (jeweling) was not an option. However, it might have been available through special order. In any case, the gun pictured does not appear to be a Model 17 as I can't see the cross pin for the frame mounted firing pin. Also, the bluing may be a refinish done when the jeweling was done.

Reactions: K22
#6 ·
Would you post a picture of the entire gun on both sides? I do not see a frame mounted firing pin cross pin which would be right under the micro-click rear sight. It is undoubtedly a Masterpiece, but IMO not a K-22. If you cock the hammer, is the nose flat? It is possible that the cross pin, which should be proud, was polished flat and the gun was refinished.

#8 ·
Ok. Those pictures help a lot. It is a 5 screw K-22 Masterpiece. So it was made early in or before 1955. I don't know why the firing pin cross pin is not visible on the left side. It is visible on the right. The cross pin locks the frame mounted firing pin into the frame. You can see it just above the upper sideplate screw on the right side. It's a nice looking gun. You might remove the grips and look on the left side toe of the grip frame for a service date that will look like MM.YY. Also there may be a R-S or R-B inside a rectangle stamped on the frame.

#12 ·
K47xxx would put the gun shipping in 1948 (unless it was way out of sequence). Very nice K-22.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.