Smith And Wesson Forums banner

K-22 Masterpiece, Post War 3rd Model

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Sebago Son 
G
#1 ·
Interesting gun with only a turn line for wear....from 1953. It has a Fish-hook hammer. The 1/10" Patridge sight was supposed to be deleted in 1952...

Anyrate, it was found today way up in Northern Maine.. ;)

giz

See less See more
G
#7 ·
Gents,

The gun is a bit of a anomoly. It is from 1953 and has a fishook or speed style hammer from the Pre-War era. I believe the latest examples of S&W using up old inventory like that extends to a example in the 1970's... :mrgreen:

It's a topic unto itself. I posted the gun more to see who might pick up on the history, then anything else....

I know there are a few here that can add a good deal of information about the various hammers...and hope that we can all learn something from the discussion.

Some of us are here to learn more...
I think it's time the rest of us, are willing to teach..... ;)

It would be nice to make this a teaching forum for the newer members.... :)

giz

#8 ·
Gizamo said:
Gents,

The gun is a bit of a anomoly. It is from 1953 and has a fishook or speed style hammer from the Pre-War era. I believe the latest examples of S&W using up old inventory like that extends to a example in the 1970's... :mrgreen:

It's a topic unto itself. I posted the gun more to see who might pick up on the history, then anything else....

I know there are a few here that can add a good deal of information about the various hammers...and hope that we can all learn something from the discussion.

Some of us are here to learn more...
I think it's time the rest of us, are willing to teach..... ;)

It would be nice to make this a teaching forum for the newer members.... :)

giz
I second this motion! I have not been here long, and when I got here I though I had plenty of knowledge about Smith revolvers. Boy was I wrong!

So keep it coming boys!

Thanks!

G
#10 ·
azmick said:
Is it my imagination, or have you gone into S&W overdrive?
Good catch Giz!
Mick,

If I can ever get you out for a ******* Shoot...you'd understand :mrgreen:

It's an invitational shoot. You, my friend and QC are a absolute open invitation... I get down to Texas this year ~ I'm lookin' you guys up!

Check out the N-Frame I'm about to post. Drew and I have been droolin' over this one for about a year and a half... :mrgreen:

giz

#12 ·
Giz: You say, what you call the fish hook hammer was pre-world war ll?
I think that hammer was called the speed hammer, is the reference as a fish hook hammer of your origin or sort of a S&W insider description?
I don't know much about pre-war K-frame 22 target revolvers - So, did the pre-war K-22's have a short action and speed hammer? I was under the impression that was a post war development, but I'm asking because I don't know.

I know that early post war M&P's had the old long action with the pre-war hammer, I know when S&W went to the short action the speed hammers started appearing on M&P's.

Hank

#13 ·
"Speed Hammer" is how the factory referenced these hammers in advertising that announced the first "Short Action" K-22/40 Masterpiece 2nd Models. Prior to that the K-22 "Outdoorsman's" or First Models were of the Long Action type.

These few one thousand or so pre-war Masterpiece 2nd Models were shipped in 1940 (thus they are sometimes called K-22/40) until supplies of them were exhausted immediately before the US entry in the war in 1941.

After the war, S&W retooled for the entirely new, and familiar K-22 Masterpiece, 3rd Model, and retained this hammer shape.

Later post war guns which were all short action maintained this hammer shape until well into the late 50's for the K-22 and early 60's for center fire guns. You will see this hammer shape on K-38's, K-32's, Pre-model 12's & 10's. By the time the Model 48 rolled out (1959 IIRC) the rimfire hammer shape had changed. The latest guns I have which have the Fishhook are M&P's. Collectors coined the term "Fishhook" to differentiate it from later post war hammer types which were also short action and technically "Speed Hammers" too.

Interestingly, the N-Frame never saw a Fishhook Hammer.

Drew

#14 ·
Thanks Drew, I have seen the 22 Outdoorsman, but was unaware of the
K-22/40. Those must be worth some serious money in collector's condition.

So the fish hook hammer is a collector's term, interesting and educational - I continue to learn.

My K-38, circa 1948 with fish hook, note tapered barrel, I believe the last year it was offered with that feature.

Hank

#15 ·
Triplelock said:
Thanks Drew, I have seen the 22 Outdoorsman, but was unaware of the
K-22/40. Those must be worth some serious money in collector's condition.
Hank,

It took me over 20 years to find one in collectible condition... 10 years later I'm still bleeding from the beating I took when I dug out the cash.... was worth the wait... it's near mint.

Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.