Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some years back I glommed this old S&W 5 screw K-22 at an online estate sale.

The gun is all matching, including the grips. It doesn't look bad for a gun that is 65 years old--bluing excellent and only a few minor scratches. Based on the condition, I would say that this did not get fired much. There is a little blue wear at the muzzle, on the cylinder and at the front of the crane

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a beauty. More than likely shipped in early 1956.
Now that’s a looker! I’ve got a 5-screw from 1947. A good shooter , but not as nice as yours. Hank
Thanks, guys!

You know, I have a K38 5 screw in pretty good condition and a few years older than this one (I think 1952), The bluing on that one is nice, but not as shiny as the bluing on this K22. Did S&W make a change in the bluing in the early 1950's?

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/s-w-revolvers-1945-present/209663-5-screw-k38.html

·
Registered
22,256 Posts
Sweet K-22. You must be proud to have it in your collection. Thanks for sharing the pics.:cool:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Mustang,

That is a swell looking K 22!

Shoot it well and often.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Very nice K22 any super fun to shoot. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
19,375 Posts
Beautiful!
What's not to love about a K-22. It's pretty close to perfection.
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys!

Anybody know about any possible changes in the manner of bluing these revolvers in the early/mid 1950's?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
By the mid 1950s the "Bright" finish had become standard. Before that the bright finish was a factory option and those were marked with a large "B" on the barrel flat. The bluing stayed the same. It was the level of metal polishing that gives them the brighter look. Here are a couple of my K-22s with "Bright" finish.

K-22 '55.jpg K-22 1955 KB.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the mid 1950s the "Bright" finish had become standard. Before that the bright finish was a factory option and those were marked with a large "B" on the barrel flat. The bluing stayed the same. It was the level of metal polishing that gives them the brighter look. Here are a couple of my K-22s with "Bright" finish.
Wow! Nice looking revolvers!

Thanks, Leo. That explains it. I noticed a difference between the bluing on my K22 and my K38 that is a few years older.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is very nice looking!
Thanks, Wendy.

I was fortunate to find it at an online auction.

Unfortunately, California has a very limited "Roster of Approved Handguns" that can be purchased. The only handguns that are "Roster exempt" are C&R handguns and Private Party transactions. Luckily both the K22 and the K38 are C&R.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some years back I glommed this old S&W 5 screw K-22 at an online estate sale.

The gun is all matching, including the grips. It doesn't look bad for a gun that is 65 years old--bluing excellent and only a few minor scratches. Based on the condition, I would say that this did not get fired much. There is a little blue wear at the muzzle, on the cylinder and at the front of the crane

Just curious, on 3 of the chambers there appears to be offset hammer nose strikes outside the recess. This might indicate a problem. The old 5 screws are a thing of quality, made back when fitters took pride in their work. Some of the best shooting S&W's to ever leave the factory

1 - 18 of 18 Posts