Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A brand new member who just purchased the 380 ez mainly because my wife is new to guns and everything I've heard about the 380 makes it seem like it'll be a good first gun for her.

Naturally, I might end up using it more than her. :)

I haven't shot the gun yet but have been trying to get familiar with it today and already have what's probably a dumb question.

The slide release is extremely hard to move when there's a clip in the gun.

This may be normal but I'm talking really hard. Pop the magazine out and the release is fine.

I own two revolvers but this is the first auto I've ever owned so it's possible (maybe a certainty) the problem is me.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :cool:

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I am a relatively new owner of same. What you describe is common to many semi autos. My question is how easy is it to simply rack the slide to load the chamber (then if you desire drop the mag and add a round)? I acquired that habit years ago with the Army's worn out M1911A1s and tired old magazines and have apparently retained it for nearly forty years. I'll have examine my .380EZ tonight and report back.

Welcome to the Forums.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Some simi autos can be difficult to release the slide with an empty mag inserted. Like you did just drop the empty mag and release the slide but do not let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber. Let it go forward slowly with your hand closing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am a relatively new owner of same. What you describe is common to many semi autos. My question is how easy is it to simply rack the slide to load the chamber (then if you desire drop the mag and add a round)? I acquired that habit years ago with the Army's worn out M1911A1s and tired old magazines and have apparently retained it for nearly forty years. I'll have examine my .380EZ tonight and report back.

Welcome to the Forums.
Comparing the gun I have to the videos I've seen, it seems like my slide may be a little harder to rack than it should be but that could be because it's new or because I'm a weak old man. :) I think it's probably the way it should be.
I'm going to the range later today and I'll let you know how the gun (and me) actually perform.
My biggest worry is that once the slide is in the locked position and a magazine is installed will my wife (or even myself) have the strength or dexterity required to push the slide release down and allow the slide to load a shell into the chamber. Simply pulling back slightly on the slide doesn't drop the slide release.
As I said, I have very little experience with anything other than a revolver or a long gun and I might be concerned about nothing so after I've taken it to the range I might have to come back here and admit to my ignorance. :D
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hi EdBr,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often. welcome01

Reactions: EdBr

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wanted to thank everyone for the welcome and the advice.

I took the gun to the range yesterday and it worked fine (thank goodness).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts