Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just sold my 640-3 with internal lock 1 year old 150 rounds through it & sold my 5906 unfired both for $700.00 did i do good? but i picked up a 686-4 no lock origional box & papers near new condition mint for $ 459.00 no mim parts is that a good price i paid? the money i get from the other guns have to go to my mothers tombstone work. please tell me i got a good deal afterall? serial#brn**** does anyone know what year it was manufactured?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'd say you did alright! Up in my neck of the woods it is hard not to take a huge loss when selling used firearms. That's just my experience though, maybe I ain't doin' it right!! As far as age of the 686-4, looks to be early to mid 1995. What's the bbl length?? 6 or 7 shot?? We need pictures man!! :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
35,929 Posts
f150guy said:
I'd say you did alright! Up in my neck of the woods it is hard not to take a huge loss when selling used firearms. That's just my experience though, maybe I ain't doin' it right!! As far as age of the 686-4, looks to be early to mid 1995. What's the bbl length?? 6 or 7 shot?? We need pictures man!! :mrgreen:
I know what you mean, Chris. Here in TX most stores and pawn shops would have offered between $550 and $600 for both of them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I stopped in to a gunshop near me... the one I always do business with :roll: and showed them my BRAND NEW 642-2. They said they would give me $175.00 for it! I bought it from them a month earlier for around $550.00!! ( I had my eye on something else already!!) Needless to say, that is no longer ''my'' gunshop!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh its a 4" 6 shot it doesnt have wood stocks it has hogue rubber grips & like i told weny i dont have everything for my computer to take pictures but its pretty and im happy & pleased. no locks no mim parts and it has the hammer nose on it and not that tear drop cyclinder release button.

·
Super Moderator
35,929 Posts
f150guy said:
I stopped in to a gunshop near me... the one I always do business with :roll: and showed them my BRAND NEW 642-2. They said they would give me $175.00 for it! I bought it from them a month earlier for around $550.00!! ( I had my eye on something else already!!) Needless to say, that is no longer ''my'' gunshop!
I have seen offers like those as well. In the condition that John's seem to be the store I go to would probably offer $275 - $350 tops per piece depending on whether it was the revolver or the semi, physical shape of the weapons, having the accessories, etc. But they do tell you what you could sell privately for and give you the truth about what the most you can expect to get is which I like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone know how the gun should sit in the box? it has that cone piece that goes through the trigger , see if you open up the box if you have pictures to show me is the gun suppose to be upside down inside? chris do you have a blue cardboard box like mine to show me how it goes in there? anyone help please?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sorry John... I don't have a 686 or a similar box. All of mine are the blue plastic...

·
Registered
8,733 Posts
You did well John. A 686 any dash goes for around the $550 range around here. As far as taking care of famley matters, ya' gotta' do what ya' gotta do. The cone goes through the trigger guard and the barrel points to the left.

·
Registered
786 Posts
probably similar (but barrel facing to your left) to this picture I found on Google images...

·
Super Moderator
35,929 Posts
carl418 said:
John,
I think you did real well also.. Congrats! You'll like your new 686!
I agree with you, Carl. I got my 686 + at the store I mentioned about 10 years ago and it is a favorite. I think I paid $400 for the gun and they threw in a couple of boxes of hollowpoints for free.

Mine is such a great handling revolver. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i never though i would be happy about my find but fnovnpoa i think i got it the gun should go in the box not upside down & the barrell facing left correct? i cant wait to blast away. anyone know if you ever have to replace the hammer nose? thank you john. hpzl;n;

·
Super Moderator
7,721 Posts
John, you did good, you had a real good reason, it doesn't sound like you got ripped off.

You will love your new 686. I bought mine brand new 3 years ago, I wanted a brand new gun so I went for it, it has the lock and MIM parts, but it shoots like a dream, 1000s of rounds without a hiccup.

As far as the hammer nose and rivet, they do break, but I have not broken any on my guns yet. I did buy a spare set for each model I have so if I do break one I have it on hand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay i gotta get up early tomorow wow its late maybe someone has a better picture i will talk to you al tomorow john thank you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.