Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Just out of curiosity...

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DHENRY 
#1 ·
Anyone care to venture a ballpark estimate on the monetary value of a pre-war 22/32 Target Model in good mechanical condition but reblued?

#3 ·
it would all depend on the qualty of the reblue..I've seen ones that you'd swear were never touched, others,,, well...... you could spot a mile away.
but as azmick stated,,on the auction sites 600.00 unless you get people in a bidding war.then the sky's the limit..

#4 ·
I was just surfing around looking at prices on them because the nieghbor has one he stripped the blueing off of and lost two screws for. Im hoping to buy it for nothing.I found one with no blueing left and some pitting for 250 and 650 to 1000 in good to exellent condition.
What realy makes me sick is the grips on the nieghbors are in exellent shape and he described the blueing as about 80 per cent before he stripped it and he paid 100 bucks for it at a yard sale 2 years ago.He said the stuff he used to strip the bueing glued it shut.I asked him what the hell he used and he dont remember. But he took to to local so called gun smith and he lost two screws and kept it for three months. The cylinder is cock eyed in it now. I think the crane is bent on it. I was hoping to get it off him for little to nothing and maybe make a project out of it.

#5 ·
SP,
A real 'ponderable', my friend...
I guess it depends on who does the refinishing and re-casing, etc.
The 'masthead' photo for this section was a 1917 model, shot a good bit, but with decent bluing and really nice grips.
Its cylinder and barrel had been touched up, but the gun was still extremely good-looking, and it shot quite well.
As I recall, it sold somewhere in the $ 550 range about a year or so ago.
The 22/32 Heavy Barrel Target is probably subject to the wildest extremes of value in most of 'Smithdom'.
Don
fhfjjjj

#9 ·
I just got an email from the seller telling me he's very sorry but the gun sold in his shop over the weekend.

This is exactly why I have always said that a stocking dealer should take a gun off sales display when listed at auction. If it sells in the shop and a bid is placed before the seller can end the auction then the bidder gets screwed.

This time... it's me.

#10 ·
Correct me if I am wrong but all the auctions I been in its printed they have it for sale in the shop and have the right to pull it before the first bid after that they loose that right. I didnt even see where he posted it was also for sale in his shop.. I would be willing to bet he still has the gun and expected to get motre for it. There was no reserve or buy now. I would try and leave some bad feed back on him if possible.

#11 ·
I don't know about the 22/32 but my M 1905 Target factory re-blue with the star stamped beside the serial number was listed at 75% of what original finish would have been. Sat unsold and shop took my offer of 2/3 of normal price for original finish gun. It's a well done re-blue properly marked, If not price ought to be about half. Re-blue is a big negative. Possibly not as much on the Internet but go to sell it and negative comes out.

Boats

#12 ·
onenut58 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but all the auctions I been in its printed they have it for sale in the shop and have the right to pull it before the first bid after that they loose that right. I didnt even see where he posted it was also for sale in his shop.. I would be willing to bet he still has the gun and expected to get motre for it. There was no reserve or buy now. I would try and leave some bad feed back on him if possible.
That is exactly what I was thinking.

#13 ·
He ended the auction after 2 days. I don't think he did so due to low bids with so much time remaining. I didn't notice the early close until I heard from him.

Bit I still say a gun put up for auction should not also be offered in the store and I am told Gunbroker seller rules say as much. Often violated.

#14 ·
SP,
I say you're right on!
This clown (like some others) is trying to get two bites of the apple, and sooner or later he'll step on his own ****.
Generally, I find the policing on AuctionArms to be a tad more strict than that on GB, but there's still plenty of wrongdoing on both sites.
Bottom line?
IMHO you just saved a few bucks that can be better-spent on something else. ;)
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.