Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
That's not too bad IF it is accurate in YOUR gun - this is where metallic reloading really pays off compared to shotgun.

Reactions: Rcope822 and combat

·
Registered
11,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I built one last year to hunt deer with. I didn't know I would be unable to feed it. Can't find any plain old soft point bullets in stock anywhere. Also, I don't really understand why so many companies only make FMJ. FMJ's are designed to kill people and I did not waste my time and money building a murder weapon or a range toy. FMJ's are terrible target rounds and are mostly illegal to hunt game with. Two dollar a piece Hornaday's sold as Match or Target rounds ain't gonna cut it for me as a hunting bullet. I don't reload so I guess I screwed myself on this one.

·
Registered
34,702 Posts
I built one last year to hunt deer with. I didn't know I would be unable to feed it. Can't find any plain old soft point bullets in stock anywhere. Also, I don't really understand why so many companies only make FMJ. FMJ's are designed to kill people and I did not waste my time and money building a murder weapon or a range toy. FMJ's are terrible target rounds and are mostly illegal to hunt game with. Two dollar a piece Hornaday's sold as Match or Target rounds ain't gonna cut it for me as a hunting bullet. I don't reload so I guess I screwed myself on this one.
Those FMJs are for folks who get into long range precision shooting, so no, they aren't built to kill folks as no one uses the cartridge in a military scenario I am aware of.

·
Super Moderator
20,079 Posts
Even worse is 458 SOCOM. We took an AR in 458 about a month ago because the guy couldn't afford paying $7.50 per round for the ammo. He sold the rifle to us for $450. He had more than $1,000 in it and said if he could get $450 he would be thrilled. We have it priced at $650, and no takers. Especially after they find out what the ammo costs for it.
We just sold an Armalite 50 BMG rifle for $2500. Ammo for it is only around $6 per round. Considering it's 50 BMG, that's not too bad.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I need to (finally) become a reloader!

I bought Hornady SST ammo....should be a solid performer. Barrel will be Wilson Combat "Recon."

Read on 65Grendel forum that Hornady Black (target) ammo is pretty good on deer and hogs. Tends to fragment badly but puts hogs down pretty well. Saw some videos of that happening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts