Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete novice to handguns and just inherited a Model 10 snob-nose revolver (2" barrel) from my grandfather. He purchased the gun in 1967, took it to the range once, cleaned it, put it in a closet and never touched it again. I've attached 2 pics I took of the gun. I'm considering selling it to purchase an S&W M&P9c or Ruger SR9c. Can anyone tell me about the value and where I should sell it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2011-12-04_17-12-40_246.jpg Rotated.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
First of all welcome01 to the Forum from Michigan.

Second that is one sweet example of the fine older Smith and Wesson revolvers. I would not venture to guess its value given the condition. I am sure there are some other members that can give you and honest value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, if anyone has experience with the both the M&P9c and SR9c and can offer a preference, I'd appreciate it. Right now Gander Mountain has the Ruger on sale for $430 and it seems like too good a deal to pass on for my first gun (not including my grandpa's snubby).

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
While not the 9mm I do own both the M&P 40c and 40 pro series. I have not had any issues with either. If you are looking for a carry gun the M&P's will fit the bill.

·
Super Moderator
19,410 Posts
Right now a Model 10 in that condition is listed on gunbroker.com for $550.
I don't think it'll sell at that price, but that's what the seller is asking.
If I were you I'd type up an ad here on the classifieds section and it should sell pretty quickly.
Start around the $450-500 and be willing to dicker a little if you must. It won't be here for long. And you'll have your M&P9 really fast.
You might also want to consider a trade even up. It'll all balance out that way.
Look onthe endlabel on the box and see if there is a dash number listed on the tag. something like 10-5 or similar.

If not, open the cylinder and look inside the crane for the complete model number. It should look like [Mod. 10-5] or similar.
Too bad I'm not in the market for a model 10. It's a great piece. You should have no troubles getting rid of it quickly.

There are many price ranges available thru the country. Depending on where the buyer lives, it might be worth only $350-400 in their region.. Don't be too surprised by the differences in offers you get. It's crazy I know, but that's the current state fo affairs with guns.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
I would never feel under gunned with that as a carry piece or doubt it's effectivness as a defensive firearm. Feed it a proper diet and it will outlast the semi-autos.
I wouldn't trade it off (or sell it) for both of your desired 9s

·
Super Moderator
32,757 Posts
Considering the shape and having the box and everything it would start at $400 - $450 in this area with possibly a little more because we don't see the model 10 in 2" here very often. Normally I would say keep anything you inherited from your grandfather but it doesn't appear to have what we would considering the sentimental value(him teaching you to shoot it say), but that is one where I personally would keep myself because I can find any M&P or SR easily, but not a firearm that belonged to my grandfather.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Benny,

If I had one of my Grandfather's guns, it would NEVER leave the family. You have there, what's called a priceless legacy heirloom. It has, in it, the spirit of your ancestor. It is yours only, to be revered and respected, no modern gun will have it's soul.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I would never feel under gunned with that as a carry piece or doubt it's effectivness as a defensive firearm. Feed it a proper diet and it will outlast the semi-autos.
I wouldn't trade it off (or sell it) for both of your desired 9s
What Mick said. They don't make em like that anymore and welcome aboard. Best regards Dick

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There is no way that gun would leave my posession.

Regards,

FlaRon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a heartless fool...i think

Maybe I should clarify. My grandpa was a tool and die maker that left me loads of tools we actually used together fixing and building things in his basement. He always regretted buying that gun...not on moral grounds, just because he felt like a longer barrel or semi-auto would have been more practical in the event he actually had to use it...which he never did after he bought it in 1967. When he gave it to me, he actually suggested that I sell it or trade it in. PHEW, ok, I feel better now!

Back to my original post, what do you guys (gals) think: M&P9c or SR9c?

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
"Grandpa, I love you but I'm keeping the S&W"
But if you must, the M&P
unless I found a nice used 3913, 3914, 3953, 3954 ,,,

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
Benny, I should have mentioned it in the above post, the third generation triggers are the best S&W ever put on a center fire semi-auto. The '39' series is a single stack magazine, the '59' series is double stack, both in 9 MM. All the models listed have 3 1/2" barrels and alloy frames with stainless or carbon steel slides. They weigh 25 oz and are only .3 oz more than the poly framed 9C.

The 5900 series with 4" barrel weighs in at 29+ oz depending on mag capacity, barrel length, saftey , DA or DAO,,,,,.
Just so you have a complete picture,,,

·
Super Moderator
32,757 Posts
I would also take the M&P as well...we have one, but it is a full size in .40 and is an excellent pistol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a complete novice to handguns and just inherited a Model 10 snob-nose revolver (2" barrel) from my grandfather. He purchased the gun in 1967, took it to the range once, cleaned it, put it in a closet and never touched it again. I've attached 2 pics I took of the gun. I'm considering selling it to purchase an S&W M&P9c or Ruger SR9c. Can anyone tell me about the value and where I should sell it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 2413 View attachment 2415

Just bought my semi-auto. Picked up the Ruger SR9c after shooting it and the M&P at the range over the weekend. My accuracy and comfort holding the SR9c was a light years better than with the M&P. Thanks to all for the feedback and LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN TAKING THE MODEL 10 OFF MY HANDS.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
Put an ad in the firearms for sale section, post a couple three pictures and a price

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I don't care what Grandpaw said. Plastic fantastic semi-auto's are a dime a dozen. Classic Smith & Wesson revolvers are just that. Classic. Even without a family connection, I wouldn't sell/trade one for two plastic pistols.

But I'm an grumpy, old man. :D

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Wendy +1, Having sent both in-laws and Mom onward, you can't keep it all. Having said that my brothers will have to fight me for a certain Auto-5 (skinned up and wearing a Fajen buttstock), ditto a 16 ga. 11-48. The safe queens they can fight over.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts