Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on line advertised as a Mossberg 151. I knew was not a 151 as it is a bolt action. I asked him if barrel had been changed and he did not know. Went to look at it and it is an old Mossberg 42 M (b). It is a commercial model as there are no British acceptance marks. Well, made an offer and he accepted. Got it home and cleaned it. The barrel is very sharp and bright. There are a few minor spots of surface rust that will clean up easily and then polish the bolt. Has the three type front sight that flip up a "Ghost Type" circle, dot, and a flat bar. The rear is a Vernier sight. Has the Dust cover and adjustable trigger. Wood stock is about 85% and has the stock for a spare mag but is missing the cover door and spare mag. I am really getting a bug for these old 22 rifles.

thumbnail3.jpg
thumbnai2l.jpg
thumbnail1.jpg

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Nice find, glad it’s yours! Some of the older .22s are super high quality guns compared to the mass produced .22s of today, this is one. It should be a great squirrel slayer.

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will add a little more to the history upon further research. Seems all the markings on these rifles was done in England. Prior to 1941, the 42 had a 3/4 stock. After 1941 when made for England had the full stock. They were lighter and not the same as the Enfields being used but no time to modify anything but the sighting. Am thinking this one was made in 1944 but was never shipped overseas. So sold commercially. If used here was not used much due to the shape of rifling. Also, no serial number anywhere that was put on ones leased to England. There is no Letter on the barrel either as was said used on the Commercial 42 prior to 1941 and contract with England. This is why I think was after 1943 and before quit making in 1944 and was out of parts assembled knowing not part of lease. May be wrong but just my feeling.
In support of Minorcan's statement about quality and accuracy, my Gunsmith friend has a 44 US and has same sight system. He used it in Long Range competition and with rear vernier backed out and adjusting nut resting on whole, and right ammo, he was doing 2" groups at 250 yards. That is open sights. The quality and the accuracy are what really make these older 22s irresistible to me. Surface rust is gone and a couple areas with very minor pitting but also not real noticeable. We are trying to get time off to go to distance range and really try the old girl out.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
New production Mossberg 22 LR parts and mags

For us old folks suffering from nostalgia about these old Mossbergs, I bought my M44 US commercial gun in 1983 for $100. Today I've spent more than $150 buying accessories and parts to make it "more complete and accurate".

https://www.havlinsales.com/default.htm
is the link to new production parts. On the left side column, item 2 "22 Rifle Parts" is everything needed to restore one of these 1944 to ???? rifles with new affordable parts. I have bought all my 'stuff' from this company. I had only one problem with scope mount screws too short. After a 5 minute phone call, 2 new free screws arrived in the mail 3 days later. I short my M44 with a scope or peep sights. Change over is about 2 minutes. The new Lyman front sight listed fits perfectly in these old rifles.

A week ago, I bought a M44 B, tube magazine, bolt action, with original scope mount, 3/4" scope, and 1-14" leather sling for $240 OTD. Now I have to get stiches out of my shoulder before I can shoot it.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Congrats on picking up a great rifle. Enjoy!:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts