Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried entering every number I could locate on this 38 Special I just picked up. Underneath the grip is what should be the serial# 92520. Inside the frame when you open the cylinder it looks like somebody inscribed the following: SS# 401-30-5103. Is that somebody’s social security number? The only other identification on the gun is on the barrel where it says 38 S&W SPECIAL CTG. Can anybody tell me anything about this gun?

·
Premium Member
20,705 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass, Joe! Is the 92520 number stamped under the barrel and on the face of the cylinder? 5 or 6 shot? Shrouded or open extractor rod? Can you post some pictures so we can see what model you may have? S&W made quite a few revolvers that chamber .38 Special in at least 3 or 4 different frame sizes and models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Guy, I brought it to a gunsmith-ish fellow who confirmed it’s a Model 15-2. No numbers on the face of the cylinder or under the barrel. Open extractor rod, six shot. I think he called it a combat trigger and hammer, extra wide with grooves. After that I brought it to another place where the guy assured me he was actually a gunsmith and he’s giving it a once over cleaning for $45. That‘s where it is at the moment. Did I overpay at $800 if it’s in good condition with a little wear on the blueing but no pitting at all? Don’t have picture available right now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the high plains/foothills of Southern Colorado!!!! Sounds like you have a very nice Model 15-2. Did you pay too much....maybe...maybe not. Are you happy with the revolver??? Are you going to keep it? If so, then you did not pay too much, as Smith and Wesson don't make them like that anymore. If you are going to resell it, probably paid a bit more than the going rate. I certainly wouldn't fret over it as you have a fine revolver. Pictures are, of course, appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,705 Posts
Joe, in your original post, you mentioned an engraved social security number. That alone will kill most collector value. It also has visible bluing loss which detracts from shooter value. Also, as Jonesy notes, the 4" barrels don't bring anywhere close to what the snubs sell for. Without seeing the gun, I would put it in the $550 range as a shooter. That may be high or low depending on where you live. We don't often say "you paid too much." Rather, we say "your bought it too soon." If you intend to hang onto it and shoot it, in a few years perhaps it will appreciate up to what you have in it. Plus, you'll have utility value in the fun you'll have shooting it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts