Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by acquiring a mint 4" Colt Python; an original, not one of the current crop.

Got it for less than half of what I'd have paid for a 6" Python in similar condition, and they go for $4000+ CDN.

Why? Because in Kanuckistan, anything with a 4" or less barrel is classified as a "Prohibited Weapon" and you have to be a licenced/"grandfathered" owner with a 12(6) classification. Not many of us so qualified.

That makes it a "shooter" regardless of condition. Hopefully it will not have the Colt "stacking" DA trigger pull.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by acquiring a mint 4" Colt Python; an original, not one of the current crop.

Got it for less than half of what I'd have paid for a 6" Python in similar condition, and they go for $4000+ CDN.

Why? Because in Kanuckistan, anything with a 4" or less barrel is classified as a "Prohibited Weapon" and you have to be a licenced/"grandfathered" owner with a 12(6) classification. Not many of us so qualified.

That makes it a "shooter" regardless of condition. Hopefully it will not have the Colt "stacking" DA trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I could own it as I have a "grandfathered" 12(6) licence.

According to Colt, my gun (KT2040) was made in 1991, a late model before manufacture ceased.

Colt made some Pythons with 3" barrels as well. Rare!
A buddy of mine has a new-in-the-box 6" Python handed down to him dating from 1978. Aside from never been fired it has everything that came with it including the paperwork. But most importantly, his, like yours, was also made before manufacture ceased. (y)

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my 4" Python arrived and it's a beauty - insofar as fit and finish are concerned. Likely unfired except for proofing.

But - and it's a big but - the DA pull is typical of the breed to the point I don't even want to cycle the gun! Call it 'clunky', worse than a Ruger GP 100 I once owned for the length of time it took to put it back in the box to the seller.
Compared to any of my several S&Ws, the SA pull is not something to write home about either. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it's at least twice (if not more) than that of any S&W I own, but useable. If I wanted another SA revolver, I would have bought one.

I'm not going to fire it until I find out if I can get it tuned to where it performs as good as it looks.

Oh, and the grips ..... flawless, but bloody awful! They must be the most unergonomic grips ever put on a revolver. Wide at the base, narrow at the top; a 'once size fits no one' proposition.

I hope that I haven't offended those who worship at the Python idol.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Well, my 4" Python arrived and it's a beauty - insofar as fit and finish are concerned. Likely unfired except for proofing.

But - and it's a big but - the DA pull is typical of the breed to the point I don't even want to cycle the gun! Call it 'clunky', worse than a Ruger GP 100 I once owned for the length of time it took to put it back in the box to the seller.
Compared to any of my several S&Ws, the SA pull is not something to write home about either. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it's at least twice (if not more) than that of any S&W I own, but useable. If I wanted another SA revolver, I would have bought one.

I'm not going to fire it until I find out if I can get it tuned to where it performs as good as it looks.

Oh, and the grips ..... flawless, but bloody awful! They must be the most unergonomic grips ever put on a revolver. Wide at the base, narrow at the top; a 'once size fits no one' proposition.

A buddy of mine forwarded this to me. It's a partial post from someone who apparently worships at the Python Altar, although I have no idea who wrote it. I have another friend who has a Python who thinks these guns are God's gift to the shooting world. I've shot it a few times and it was okay. I suppose there's nothing wrong with them.

I can't get it to malfunction. ;) Obviously there is something wrong with it since "everyone" knows they're junk. That's all I read on several forums. It's all over U-tube. The "new" Python is a dud.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no comment on the NEW Python other than I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy one. In a couple of years when the hype is over, maybe, when the market is flooded with used ones.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Sounds like something is wrong with it, because original Pythons should not be performing like that. Seek a reputable gunsmith.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I gather, my gun is typical of the breed. As far as 'smithing it goes, you can probably count on one hand the number of competent 'smiths out there who will solve the problem without creating another. I think I expected too much from Colt's premium revolver.
I'm going to learn to live with it as I don't want to spend $360 USD on a tune up AFTER I go thru' a broker to ship it to the US.

In the meantime, I'll just admire it's fine finish and enjoy shooting my silky smooth S&Ws.

·
Registered
627 Posts
From what I gather, my gun is typical of the breed. As far as 'smithing it goes, you can probably count on one hand the number of competent 'smiths out there who will solve the problem without creating another. I think I expected too much from Colt's premium revolver.
I'm going to learn to live with it as I don't want to spend $360 USD on a tune up AFTER I go thru' a broker to ship it to the US.

In the meantime, I'll just admire it's fine finish and enjoy shooting my silky smooth S&Ws.
My 1969 Colt Python has the finest production action I’ve ever felt on a DA revolver. I haven’t seen one that didn’t mirror that (Can’t speak for the 2020 models... haven’t held one yet). It’s right up there with my Swiss Sig P210. Yours should be the same.

One gunsmith for Colts that everybody raves about on the Colt Forum is Frank Glenn. Check him out.

No sense paying that much for a firearm and not being right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Read my previous post .....

It would add to the cost and frustration I've had so far with this revolver. If it was my SOLE DA revolver, I'd consider it. But I have a rack of tuned S&Ws that perform to expectations.
So I get to say I own a well finished/fitted Colt Python that is a dog to shoot compared to any run-of-the-mill S&W.

Bully ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts