Smith And Wesson Forums banner

John N Browning designed .22 Auto

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kritter 
G
#1 ·
Thought I'd post an interesting .22 from my gun collection.

This is a John N. Browning design. It is a take-down rifle in a semi-auto. The shells eject from the bottom of the gun. So it doesn't matter if the shooter is left or right handed...Simply put, it is a very elegant design.

My gun is a first year production Model 24 Remington in .22 Short. Overall condition is excellent with the original bluing. The stocks have been refininished. It has the original barrel length of 19" and is marked as a Model 24, not as a 24A. It carries the Browning patents and dates. The rollmark for Remington was applied upside down on this gun, which is somewhat unusual.

Most model 24's are date stamped on the barrels, which they started to do in 1922....However the Model 24 did not start production in 1922 like the Remington site says but in 1919. Less than 100 made in those three years (1919-1921). Also the Model 24's ended in 1938 not 1935 with 5 made in 1936,37,38.

The date stamp is the blackpowderx code which can be found on the Remington Society collectors website here

http://remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

So my gun is marked with a low 4-digit serial number and the SN on the underside of the barrel matched the receiver.

The barrel code is marked CN which means the gun was manufactured in April of 1922...

giz

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Giz!

That looks just like one that DJ reworked and refinished while he was a Gunsmith.... I remember it well because I argued with the the owner and told him it was entirely too valueable to rework....

Bring it to the RNS and I bet he will verify that fact.... he recognizes his own work when he sees it....

Hmmmmm..... What are the chances?

#4 ·
Those Remingtons are nice guns. I have several in Remington and Browning flavors. I put them away when I started playing around with the Ruger 10/22 rifles. While on vacation, I was "discovering" stuff that I had put away in those gun socks that conceal the identity of whatever you put in them. To my delighted surprize, one was one of the two 241 Remingtons I used to shoot most every time I went out to the desert. I'm back at work now, but this weekend I'll be hauling it out to the Peach Orchard along with a 550-1.

By the way, I'm glad to see both of you Maine men posting again.

Hi, Drew! Hi, Giz!

:D

G
#5 ·
QC,

I never left...just the usual Summer Black Powder stuff... Been busy setting up the range for the Red Neck Shoot...and Man O' Man, I wish you'd come. We'd even kick a few of the harem out of Drew's and DW's trailer to find room for you.. :mrgreen:

I've spent all of my time building up a true Fire Iron set this Summer. Sounds easy, as in just spend money... but it ain't. You have to search this stuff out, and that's time running over a lot of territory. The new gear has to get sorted out, ...we're putting the new Wedge Bell tent up this week and getting used to it. Spent last weekend up on the old family farm at a homecoming. Two more rendevous's before October....

Damn, life is fine....

Red Neck Shoot in September will be here before we know it...

giz

#6 ·
Wow intresting that you posted about this one..I just picked one up last weekend.... really I did...... in need of a few parts to get it back in running order,, but they are on order..... the gun needs "cleaned up" a bit....but what a nice lite little gun....Oh, barrel code on mine is CX which would make it April of 1929...

#7 ·
Nice looking rifle Gizamo!! I don't have a Remington but I have a Browning that I've had for about 35 years now. It is one of the best hunting .22's I've ever had. It handles easily and is extremely accurate and reliable. I can't ever recall having a jam with it. Cleaning it is a breeze and it is easily stored. The Browning .22 auto and Remington 66 series may be the two most reliable .22's autos ever designed.

#8 ·
Gizamo said:
QC,

Been busy setting up the range for the Red Neck Shoot...and Man O' Man, I wish you'd come. We'd even kick a few of the harem out of Drew's and DW's trailer to find room for you.. :mrgreen: giz
No need to chase out the Wimmen for QC.... He's a skinnly little ***** and based upon past experiance he doesn't mind sleeping under a harem pile. Onlyest thing is that he usually wakes up face down which I find annoying but DW rather enjoys....

G
#9 ·
kritter,

Guess we better find some really early Browning designed .22 Pistols to go with these rifles.. ;)

So what would that be...How early were the Browning 22 Pistols. What would be correct for 1920's? Or earlier...

giz

#10 ·
well, the Browning designed .22 pistol for that time would be the Colt woodsman...introduced in 1915...

His first pistol was the FN M1900 designed in 1896 and chambered for the 7.65x17mm Browning.

Interestly enough the browning buckmark wasn't even around when he was alive..... introduced 1985 or the browning challenger which was introduced in 1962

Browning died in 1926...

Sorry, I'm a Browning nut......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.