Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help in determining the value for my 686 effector. I've been trying to find one for sale to get a good value on it but apparently these never go up for sale. I have no box or papers and it's in 7.5-8/10 condition and doesn't appear to have been shot much. Any help in getting a good value on it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
849 Posts
I am not sure about the later guns marked effector but my blued 45 acp 25-2 in excellent shape sold in the low 2s last year. Depends on how bad someone wants it, if I were gun brokering it I would reserve it, at $2k minimum. You can always reduce the price.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
John Jovino Gun Shop or the John Jovino Company is a firearms dealer and factory located at 183 Grand Street, in Little Italy, a neighborhood of the New York City borough of Manhattan. It is the oldest gun retailer in New York City[1] and said to be the oldest gun shop in the United States.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jovino_Gun_Shop

Learn something new everyday!:D

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
An estimated value of $2000 plus is kind of strange, but inline with what they seem to go for. Why I thinks its strange is that normally a gun is worth LESS if changed from its original configuration. These were usually a 6 inch, square butt 686 that Jovino had cut the barrel to 2.5 or 3 inches and then he converts the square butt to round. I understand that a 2.5 or 3 inch round butt wasn't available then, so this was a desirable modification, but for the past 25-30 years that exact configuration has been produced by the factory. So why is a gun that Jovino cut and welded on worth twice what a factory 2.5", round butt, no lock gun sells for? Does he install magic?

·
Registered
849 Posts
An estimated value of $2000 plus is kind of strange, but inline with what they seem to go for. Why I thinks its strange is that normally a gun is worth LESS if changed from its original configuration. These were usually a 6 inch, square butt 686 that Jovino had cut the barrel to 2.5 or 3 inches and then he converts the square butt to round. I understand that a 2.5 or 3 inch round butt wasn't available then, so this was a desirable modification, but for the past 25-30 years that exact configuration has been produced by the factory. So why is a gun that Jovino cut and welded on worth twice what a factory 2.5", round butt, no lock gun sells for? Does he install magic?
I have owned a lot of custom guns and have been made whole, or made a profit on selling them. The key is a well known gun smith in this case a well known gun shop. My Jovino's action was superb, as was the workmanship. An example is a call I had from someone buying a Frank Wells rifle I had owned many years ago he paid several thousand more than it had previously sold for, still not sure how he tracked me down.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
I have owned a lot of custom guns and have been made whole, or made a profit on selling them. The key is a well known gun smith in this case a well known gun shop. My Jovino's action was superb, as was the workmanship. An example is a call I had from someone buying a Frank Wells rifle I had owned many years ago he paid several thousand more than it had previously sold for, still not sure how he tracked me down.
I do get that custom guns can bring good money, but this really isn't custom. It was back when it was made, but as I said, you can get the same configuration from the factory as of the last 30 years or so. Cool gun and I like it. Hope the OP gets top dollar, but in this case, I still don't get it since any nice 2.5 inch prelock 686 with a $150 professional trigger job is going to be pretty much the same gun

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I'm with you Jonsey. Ive done this to two revolvers in my garage. Maybe one day I'll be famous and the value will sky rocket.
But you don't have the provenance of being the Oldest Gun shop, for the mob in Little Italy in NYC!:eek:

·
Registered
322 Posts
So... Other than the name John Jovino, which means absolutely nothing to me, what makes this 686 so special? I just don't see it.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
Owning a gun customized by John Jovino is like having one built by Hamilton Bowen, Gary Reeder, or Jerry Michiluk.

·
Registered
19,731 Posts
John Jovino Gun Shop or the John Jovino Company is a firearms dealer and factory located at 183 Grand Street, in Little Italy, a neighborhood of the New York City borough of Manhattan. It is the oldest gun retailer in New York City[1] and said to be the oldest gun shop in the United States.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jovino_Gun_Shop

Learn something new everyday!:D

https://www.facebook.com/awpetersongunshop/

A.W. Peterson gun shop, Mt. Dora Florida, since 1886
I imagine there are others, especially in New England even older.........

My dad was NYPD, Jovino's was where every cop bought their guns, gear, etc........

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
I would think that little wheel gun is closer to a 9 on the 1-10 scale. It's beautiful, and I'll bet it's one of the best triggers you'll pull in a very long time, unless you have top end trigger work done by another gunsmith you know.
Some times, as in this case, the provenance makes this worth substantially more than a regular 686 snubby. Around here, I think the $2,000 price tag is pretty close to the market value.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't know what it's worth,but I sure wish it was mine.:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts