Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know much about them. Just know that some of my revolvers have one and some don't. Wanted to document them.

1950 Pre-Model 10 (C113xxx)

1950 Pre-Model 10 (C155xxx, this one actually shipped before C113xxx)
free photo upload

1951 K-38

1955 .38/44 HD

1959 Model 10

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't know what hole is, but I don't think it's a tooling hole. Tooling holes are usually in pairs; one for a round pin and the other for a diamond pin.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Interesting. Anyone have a resource that explains what they are if not jig or manufacturing holes??

Perhaps post this on the Blue forum if no none is sure here.??

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Anyone have a resource that explains what they are if not jig or manufacturing holes??

Perhaps post this on the Blue forum if no none is sure here.??
Already done. I've got a question into Roy. So far what I have been told is a hole used to secure the frame during manufacturing/ assembly. Seems to be a 1950's thing.

Reactions: combat and Rule3

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,966 Posts
hangers for finish room is what i always thought -

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Already done. I've got a question into Roy. So far what I have been told is a hole used to secure the frame during manufacturing/ assembly. Seems to be a 1950's thing.
Thanks, please post here if he replies, Is it posted on the Blue forum somewhere??

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not a member with a magic password to enter.:)
So far you haven't missed a thing. Roy still hasn't answered but there are a lot of wanna be comedians answering. The leading consensus is it was used to secure the frame during some sort of manufacturing. At some point their process changed enough it was not needed. The latest frame I have heard that is was on shipped in 1963 but no telling when that frame was built. Makes sense as I have guns that shipped throughout the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's and 1940's and they don't have the hole. Now I am only taking K frames as I don't collect much other than K frames. Even though one of the two N frames I have has the hole.

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not a member with a magic password to enter.:)
I just finished checking over there. One of the members said for the .44 Mag and prob the N frames the hole was phased out around 1959 around s/n S196000. This was due to the change in tooling to cut groves in the tangs of the revolvers. Tracks for when S&W increased the # of groves from 6 to 10 in 1956.

Reactions: Rule3

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
So far you haven't missed a thing. Roy still hasn't answered but there are a lot of wanna be comedians answering. The leading consensus is it was used to secure the frame during some sort of manufacturing. At some point their process changed enough it was not needed. The latest frame I have heard that is was on shipped in 1963 but no telling when that frame was built. Makes sense as I have guns that shipped throughout the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's and 1940's and they don't have the hole. Now I am only taking K frames as I don't collect much other than K frames. Even though one of the two N frames I have has the hole.
Even in the Collectors you have wise guys? Figured them to be a serious bunch.?? Please let me know if Roy replies, I have spoken with him on the phone in the past, Great guy!

·
Premium Member
11,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Add one more of my guns with a jig hole. A 1955 K38CM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts