Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
So I know I am late to the party, but I figure better late than not all... Maybe?
Yesterday my self and two of my fellow enablers sent our money to J G Sales for 3 of the no barrel model 10 revolvers.
I am usually not too big, on buying fix-er-up-er guns, but this was too tempting to pass up.
My buddy, who is also the guy with the skills to fix them, already has parts for his, so he is set. The other two of us are in search of barrels.
Does any one know what our options are? What dash series or other models will fit?
From the details on the J G site, it sounds like they will be 10-7 or 10-8 frames, but we wont know until late in the week when they arrive. I would like to stay with a 2 inch barrel, just because that is what the guns are set up for.. An a K Frame snub has been on my radar for a while.
What are your thoughts? Have any of you all went for this, or are we the only suckers? Please dont tell me to stay away from this deal.... since we already spent our money. :)
By the way if any of you guys want in on this, there appears to be no shortage of these guns. Yesterday they told my cousin they had over 400 on the shelf..
Thank you for your thoughts!
BES

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
The JG sales guns are $150 without barrels.

Smith & Wesson 10 Revolver, 38 Special, No Barrel, Round Butt, GSS, CAI Mark, Used, S&W.

They must be re-imports from some agency or military organization.

There is a company (I suspect associated somehow with gun control operations) that sells "parts" guns with cut frames. (The irony would be to be financing gun grabbers by dealing with them if this was the case...)

Those could be perfect donors for your barrel-less model 10's...

Revolvers

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there seems to be some rumors, on line that these were re-imported Cop guns from over seas. My understanding is there is some dumb gun law in the books that prevents a gun that has less than a two inch barrel from being imported.
So they screwed the barrels off, and imported them that way. Maybe in 6 months there will be a crap load of used 2 inch barrels for sale, as its probably not against the law to import just barrels either? Who knows for sure.
Any way the hunt begins for a barrel, on the cheap. Maybe a 4 inch, and change the ejector to the longer style.
I would love a two inch, as I dont have one of them, and already have a 10 with the 4 inch heavy..

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
I posted the link above in my first reply.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I miss understood your post I guess. J G is where we are getting the barrel-less guns.
I thought you had a source for barrels.
Sorry for the mix up..

·
Registered
22 Posts
They appear to have the short ejector rod for 2" barrels. Longer barrels will fit but would need to install a longer rod, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,789 Posts
Those could be perfect donors for your barrel-less model 10's...

Revolvers

Click on "Revolvers" above. They might have a source for them. If not now, keep watch for future listings. I have no relationship with them, but they do list quite a bit, and update often.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I will keep an eye on that site. I am not in any real hurry to do anything.
With as many of these that are available, and that have already sold, there may be a barrel shortage for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick update on these barrel - less guns:

All three guns arrived last week, actually they were at the FFL 3 days after the order was placed. Smoking fast shipping from J G Sales. We picked them up on Saturday, and the one member of the group that had a barrel laying around has already put his together and been to the range.
Our 3 guns were all about equal in the amount of cosmetic wear. There was no damage to the frames from the barrel removal, and everything looks straight and crane fitment into the frame is perfect.
The finish is pretty worn, but just right for a carry piece, or night stand gun.. These are no guilt guns that one, can do anything he want to with, and not hurt the value.

To anyone who just happens to have a barrel laying around in their junk box, and the skills to install and do the what seemed to be minor fitment, these seem like a winner. It took my buddy less than an hour to fit his, and probably an hour or so to take it apart and reassemble, after fitment. He turned a pile of parts, into a gun for less than 200 bucks, gun, shipping and transfer fee, and a short 3 hours of his Saturday.
We are happy with what we got, and I hope the other two guns go together as easy as the first one.
Its a waiting game now, as the barrels are coming from Numrich, and they are back logged for 3 - 4 weeks.
I wish I would have ordered two, and fixed one, and just sat on the other one for how ever long it took to find a cheap barrel.
BES

1 - 11 of 11 Posts