Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this morning. 10-7 from J&G without barrel. That’s a lightweight profile barrel fitted this morning along with new springs and some internal stoning by my gunsmith as my birthday present from him.

I’ll keep on the lookout for a heavy profile barrel so it’s just right. All in at $235 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
You did well. It will look even better with the heavy barrel. Great project piece. Congrats.

Reactions: bovw

·
Registered
78 Posts
You might want to rethink your barrel idea. The Model 10-7 frames were made for the tapered, or standard, barrel that you already have. A heavy barrel would be noticeably wider than the contour of the fame where it meets the barrel.
I bought 2 of the J&G barrel-less guns plus 2" and 5" standard barrels.... they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to rethink your barrel idea. The Model 10-7 frames were made for the tapered, or standard, barrel that you already have. A heavy barrel would be noticeably wider than the contour of the fame where it meets the barrel.
I bought 2 of the J&G barrel-less guns plus 2" and 5" standard barrels.... they fit perfectly.
The box is marked 10-7 HB, the frame doesn’t taper as much as the 4 inch, there is a noticeable shelf between the 2.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The box is marked 10-7 HB, the frame doesn’t taper as much as the 4 inch, there is a noticeable shelf between the 2.

Are you talking about that brown box J&G sent these out with? Both of my boxes have that. That's not a factory label.... there is no 2" heavy barrel for S&W fixed-sight guns.
Look at the front of the frame at the point where the barrel screws in. I'm including closeups of a standard and a heavy-barrel frame. The difference is slight but noticeable.
I purchased a 2" and a 5" barrel for my frames from J&G. Both are standard or so-called "tapered" barrels, and they match up perfectly. My other 2"ers look exactly the same, too.
Enjoy it as is! You got a great deal, and the barrel you found looks to be in excellent condition.
M10 closeup.jpg
M10 std barrel .jpg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you talking about that brown box J&G sent these out with? Both of my boxes have that. That's not a factory label.... there is no 2" heavy barrel for S&W fixed-sight guns.
Look at the front of the frame at the point where the barrel screws in. I'm including closeups of a standard and a heavy-barrel frame. The difference is slight but noticeable.
I purchased a 2" and a 5" barrel for my frames from J&G. Both are standard or so-called "tapered" barrels, and they match up perfectly. My other 2"ers look exactly the same, too.
Enjoy it as is! You got a great deal, and the barrel you found looks to be in excellent condition.
View attachment 475412 View attachment 475413
Yes, I know it’s not a factory label.

Screenshot from gunbroker of a 10-7 with the heavy profile barrel

Mine with the lightweight profile barrel

Notice the difference at the frame.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, I know it’s not a factory label.

Screenshot from gunbroker of a 10-7 with the heavy profile barrel

Mine with the lightweight profile barrel

Notice the difference at the frame.

Notice the rib on top of the barrel in your photo? Heavy barrels don't have that, only standard barrels. There are no "heavy" 2" fixed-sight barrels. Period.
Enjoy it as-is. These are good deals for folks who are willing to locate a barrel and install it or have the work done at a pretty decent price compared to most of what's out there these days. I plan on enjoying mine, the 3rd and 4th standard barrel K-frames in my safe. (I have heavy-barrel 3" and 4" Ks for comparison.)
I'd like to see something like this in an N or a J frame. Never know what dealers like J&G or Bud's will come up with.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I saw the ad for these but, I'd picked up a model 10-7 sometime back in nickel, nice CCW guns. Congrats.

Steve

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Notice the rib on top of the barrel in your photo? Heavy barrels don't have that, only standard barrels. There are no "heavy" 2" fixed-sight barrels. Period.
Enjoy it as-is. These are good deals for folks who are willing to locate a barrel and install it or have the work done at a pretty decent price compared to most of what's out there these days. I plan on enjoying mine, the 3rd and 4th standard barrel K-frames in my safe. (I have heavy-barrel 3" and 4" Ks for comparison.)
I'd like to see something like this in an N or a J frame. Never know what dealers like J&G or Bud's will come up with.
This may be a model 12 barrel, it is definitely a thinner profile than what came on it from the factory. If there is only one 2 inch barrel, why do I have so much frame visible where the barrel threads in? I too have 3 and 4 in heavy barrels as well as 4 inch standard barrels. While not a true heavy barrel 2 inch, it should be a bit heavier profile. The gentleman that I got mine from had already sold the one he had, so I got the thinner one.

I am enjoying it as is, ran a box through it this morning.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
78 Posts

Yessir. That's a version of a "standard" barrel, likely newer, maybe a larger caliber. See the skinny little sight rib? That's the clue. Heave barrels do not have that...the sight is directly on the barrel. I've added a photo to illustrate what I'm talking about.
Look, let's not turn this into some sort of contest to see who's right or wrong. My intent is not to impose any different idea on you, as you seem to be opinionated enough without my help. The "problem" IMO is that using the wrong terminology when seeking aftermarket parts only makes it much more difficult to find what you need. If you're on the same page as everyone else from the start, you are getting past the "language barrier" and cutting to the chase. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yessir. That's a version of a "standard" barrel, likely newer, maybe a larger caliber. See the skinny little sight rib? That's the clue. Heave barrels do not have that...the sight is directly on the barrel. I've added a photo to illustrate what I'm talking about.
Look, let's not turn this into some sort of contest to see who's right or wrong. My intent is not to impose any different idea on you, as you seem to be opinionated enough without my help. The "problem" IMO is that using the wrong terminology when seeking aftermarket parts only makes it much more difficult to find what you need. If you're on the same page as everyone else from the start, you are getting past the "language barrier" and cutting to the chase. Good luck.
So in my hunt for a barrel like the one on the left, what do I call it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's just a 2" K-frame fixed-sight barrel, to differentiate it from the 2" barrel used on the adjustable-sight Model 15.. Let me ask you one thing: You said the barrel you have is a "lightweight profile." Is it marked "Airweight" or does it come from a Model 12? Off the top of my head, I wonder if the 12 has an even more tapered barrel than the heavier 10 barrel? I don't have a 12, so I don't know. Just left with curiosity.
Incidentally, I have the barrel I purchased for my own 10-7 in hand right now. Looks just like the one in your left photo.I also have the 5" standard right here. I think what might be a source of confusion for folks is how the longer barrels taper rather quickly, in the first 3/8" after the threads. The 2" taper is much more subtle - 0.718" to 0.648" as measured with my trusty General Tool electronic caliper.
Again, this is not to put on a show of my "superior knowledge" and I hope you won't take my insistence as such. I'm just a fellow enthusiast that wants to save you some aggravation.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's just a 2" K-frame fixed-sight barrel, to differentiate it from the 2" barrel used on the adjustable-sight Model 15.. Let me ask you one thing: You said the barrel you have is a "lightweight profile." Is it marked "Airweight" or does it come from a Model 12? Off the top of my head, I wonder if the 12 has an even more tapered barrel than the heavier 10 barrel? I don't have a 12, so I don't know. Just left with curiosity.
Incidentally, I have the barrel I purchased for my own 10-7 in hand right now. Looks just like the one in your left photo.I also have the 5" standard right here. I think what might be a source of confusion for folks is how the longer barrels taper rather quickly, in the first 3/8" after the threads. The 2" taper is much more subtle - 0.718" to 0.648" as measured with my trusty General Tool electronic caliper.
Again, this is not to put on a show of my "superior knowledge" and I hope you won't take my insistence as such. I'm just a fellow enthusiast that wants to save you some aggravation.
It doesn’t say Airweight, and could very well be from a model 12. I don’t have one to compare. The gentleman on the blue forum that had these, had several of the ones on the right, and one of the left. Someone else grabbed the left one quick. They were all unused.

Don’t worry, it’s all good. It works fine as is, but I’ll eventually grab the correct one just so it looks right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts