Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Model 36 with a serial number that does not appear correct. It is 837JxxYY. The first six characters are normal Smith & Wesson stampings. The last two characters are numbers and are larger than the first six. I have no idea if these were added at the factory for some reason or by a previous owner. I think the first six are the "real" and complete serial number but my computer crashed and I lost my S&W serial number list. I would appreciate any help or opinions on this. The gun is a two inch square butt and is only in fair shape but will be a good shooter. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I looked in my 4th edition for you D146.
Your serial doesn't jive.
1950 to 69 there was no prefix on early J frames.
1969 to 83 the J prefix is used.
So if I put your J in front of 837.
It then corresponds to 1981 model 36.

No clue on your double Y stamp.

Hopefully, more knowledgeable members will chime in here and we can learn.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Premium Member
18,887 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Are you taking the SN from the butt of the gun? If your grips cover the butt, remove them. If that number came from the butt, please post a picture of the SN so we can see what you are seeing. 837JXX would be 1971-72.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
photo of serial number on butt

Here is a photo of the serial number on the butt. I believe that 837J98 is the original serial number and someone added the 2 and the five. Where did you get the info that it would be from 1971-72? Thanks. Ray 20180405_160243.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
I'm guessing the "25" stamped at the end of the serial number on the butt was a rack number at a police department or similar place where they had an armory, and used it to keep track of it.
The actual serial number is 837J98.
We are able to look up some serial number set in the 4th or 5th edition of the S&W catalog.

Nice pea shooter you have there.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Premium Member
11,552 Posts
My 963J22 shipped 3/74.

·
Premium Member
18,887 Posts
As gearchecker says, the 25 is probably a rack number. And we look up the serial number ranges in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, fourth edition. That gives us manufacture dates but not shipping dates. To get the actual shipping date, you can request an historians letter of authenticity from the S&W historical Foundation.

Guy

Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you. Someone else said 1971-72 which is in line with K22's post of his.(which by the way, is much nicer than mine!) Thanks to everyone for your help.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just wanted to thank WGG.
I found my mistake in looking up this gun.
I wansnt wearing my reading glasses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts