Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My most recent acquisition is this scandium frame 360. I don't care for the color of the factory grips. I have ordered the black ones from S&W, but of course, they are on intergalactic back order.. In the meantime, I am thinking some wood/laminate grips would be great. I am leaning towards the bateleur grips from altamont. My problem is I can't visualize what color would look god with the matte black PVD finish of my 360. So, my special request is for pics from any of you that have any black or flat black finished J-Frames with wood/aftermarket grips. I think I prefer the super rosewood (reddish) or the silverback (black), but just looking for pics in general. Thanks 20191030_203436.jpg

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
20171102_184137-1.jpg

I have the combo grips with silverblack inserts from Altamont for my model 360. Just another option to consider.:cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
VZ’s black cherry grips would look great.

Pachmayr Compacts would shoot better.
I like the VZ's on my K, L, & N frames and the black cherry is my favorite color especially on blued guns. The square butt grips are slimmer and fit my hand well. Haven't tried the J frames.

·
Registered
111 Posts
with such a lightweight popper, stocks are important to me. i tried a number of different ones on the 642c and finally settled on a hogue 60020 that has a full cushioned back strap, that i modified by cutting off the third finger bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I like the ones that came on my 642-1 PC. I got the gun used, but I think they're just the standard stocks.

642PC.jpg

642PC1.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like the ones that came on my 642-1 PC. I got the gun used, but I think they're just the standard stocks.
i sure like the looks of those stocks, had a few similar, but for me and stout loads that are medium to +P, a high grip on the handle digs that squared metal back strap into the web of my hand and after a few cylinders it ain't fun on the flesh. that's what got me searching for stocks with a cushioned back strap and that turned into the hogue 60020 which is a 3 finger grip that needed fixing to become a boot stock. where there's a will, there's a way, and life is still good, so far. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20191122_163108.jpg 20191122_163229.jpg

Got a set of Altamont silverback stocks. They are not as much black and gray as they were in the pictures, but I think I still like them better than the FDE factory stocks. On another note, they fit about 1/16" further down the backstrap on the top than the originals, which is good because the hammer would hit the top of the stocks before and would pop right out from under my thumb. Thankfully, I noticed that little tendency before taking it to the range....

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
View attachment 421595 View attachment 421597

Got a set of Altamont silverback stocks. They are not as much black and gray as they were in the pictures, but I think I still like them better than the FDE factory stocks. On another note, they fit about 1/16" further down the backstrap on the top than the originals, which is good because the hammer would hit the top of the stocks before and would pop right out from under my thumb. Thankfully, I noticed that little tendency before taking it to the range....
The new grips look great! Glad they work for you and provide the comfort you need when giving that fun little revolver a work out.:cool:

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
While I really prefer wood, for my pocket guns the Goodyear’s are the way to go for me. Summers are hot in Virginia and I sweat! More stable grip for me. Both the Mod 37 and the mod 642 are excellent shooters. Not Mod 17’s, but good shooters. 0472070A-656D-4855-9EEF-7735E864B93F.jpeg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
While I really prefer wood, for my pocket guns the Goodyear’s are the way to go for me. Summers are hot in Virginia and I sweat! More stable grip for me. Both the Mod 37 and the mod 642 are excellent shooters. Not Mod 17’s, but good shooters. View attachment 424453
Im with you. I think the Black silver grips look great on the OP's gun and I seriously considered a set of Ahrends for my new little 642 but I anticipate it living a less than glamorous life. It will be stuffed in my jeans pocket, my jacket pocket, my cargo pants .. ride on my Motorcycle and generally be a new ever present member of my daily carry family so ... I will stick with the rubber grips. Plus is I shoot ok with them.

But!! another reason to get that steel J frame!! You know .. so I can dress her up purty! :)

Reactions: Mjh

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ironically, I was planning on purchasing that very same model. I agree that the manufacturer supplied grips look horrid. I also agree that the Altamont Bateleur grips in rosewood would look and fit the best. I put the Altamont Bateleur grips in silver black on my model 637 and am very happy with the look and feel. Question, how does it feel to fire a .357 magnum load in a 15 oz handgun?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ironically, I was planning on purchasing that very same model. I agree that the manufacturer supplied grips look horrid. I also agree that the Altamont Bateleur grips in rosewood would look and fit the best. I put the Altamont Bateleur grips in silver black on my model 637 and am very happy with the look and feel. Question, how does it feel to fire a .357 magnum load in a 15 oz handgun?
I was quite stuck between a 437, 637, and the 360, as I liked all of them. The unfluted cylinder on the 360 was what originally caught my eye, and that put it over the edge for me.

It feels like I'm trying to hold on to a mini cannon...and that was only a 110 Gr. load. I'm not sure I have the guts to try a full house 158 Gr. load, to be honest...

·
Registered
111 Posts
a model 60 that i stuck on altamont bateleur rosewood stocks.

this is a fine snubby that i think looks good, but is not as practical handled in 3 finger wood, nor as light and convenient as my model 642c with its modified hogue 60020.

i sold off the model 60. looks ain't everything. it's a personal thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts