Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In very early March, just before I got so sick I was certain I’d be leaving for the great beyond and before toilet paper became more valuable than Gold, I told my son’s very first partner on the force that I’d buy his old BUG. Well, with everything that has happened, both of us frankly forgot about it until I remembered a few days ago. My son had a big Memorial Day cook out, he paid his buddy for me and yesterday I picked up the gun! It came with a nice Galco ankle rig, an Uncle Mike’s nylon belt clip holster, a USA pocket sleeve, two HKS speed loaders, filled with +P Hollow Points, 5 loose cartridges of the same, presumably what he carried in it on duty, plus a full box of American Eagle 130 Grain FMJ. Because it was me, he only wanted $250, but I insisted on $300, which he thanked me for. Now before anyone gets excited, the finish has numerous dings from being carried. This is the first one of these I’ve ever owned with this type of finish, but it looks prone to being nicked easily. The barrel and cylinder walls looked great, so we’re both happy.

Initially when I was setting up the deal, I posted pictures here with thoughts of some sort of refinish project. After cleaning out the gummed up oil/grease from the innards, getting the trigger to snap back and reset perfectly (it was slow before the flush and relube), I decided I was going to keep the finish as is, just upgrade the stocks, because this gun has character and stories to tell. The gent I bought it from, who was also my son’s best man, he had it strapped to his ankle in a shooting, but it was not put into action, a Glock did all the barking that dark night in a South Phoenix alley after a car chase and foot pursuit. That shooting was the first my son was involved in during his career, but fortunately he did not have to fire, however tackled the now wounded bad guy and took him into custody while his partner was still holding the scene with his service pistol ready to go again if need be.

Here’s what I started with and what I decided to go with. The original rubber “Uncle Mikes”, weren’t going back on. I could only grip with 2 fingers, my pinky completely off. Plus the screw retainer was spinning in the rubber, which caused me a bit of extra work to get around. I really liked the classic S&W wood stocks with a Tyler-T, but my pinky was still only halfway in the grip. The long smooth set that I won here from some long ago Karma give-away, they felt great! It’s loaded, in the pocket sleeve and in my front pocket as I type in fact. I’ve been carrying a Ruger LCP there the last 5 years and this is so light I can hardly feel a weight difference. In cargo shorts or pants, it doesn’t print, but in tighter fitting britches, it might not work, but I can’t remember the last time I’ve put any on being retired.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Looks great. My 642 is addicting. I have a few guns to chose from but that little gun just finds a way to always be around. I was shooting it saturday. Man I made a fifty cent coin sized hole with 5 rounds at 7 yds with little thought. Great little gun.

I might try the smith grips like in you second photo. I love the little rubber ones that came on the gun but you can't use a speedloader and sometimes I would like to have the extra 5 around.

Cool gun with cool history you have there. Enjoy!

·
Registered
17,484 Posts
Very nice addition there and helped out a friend. I do like the longer grips shown. They are light and very easy to carry. Has character that has been earned and glad going to keep the little scars and you can add to them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been carrying my S&W 340PD .357 Mag J Frame with the Scandium frame and Titanium cylinder since they first came on the market back in the early 2000s. It's the lightest of the J Frames at 11.4 ounces empty and mine weighs 11.58 ounces which includes a set of Crimson Trace laser grips. Great little guns.

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
I have a couple. My 360 and 638. Modified the 360 with Altamont grips and a Big Dot Tritium front sight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts