Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and it has been recommended to me that there are many experts that are very helpful here. I am working on several J and K frame 22 long rifle revolvers and find double action light strikes are consistent. I have put the K frames back to factory specification with new springs and the correct strain screws and they seem to fire reasonably consistently. The J frame is another story. It is a 34-1 in like new condition. I removed the side plate and cleaned the varnish out and re-lubed it. I fires everything when shot single action but only four out of six in double action. I ordered Wolff springs and even the 9 pound spring didn't fire a full cylinder. An 11 pound spring might do it if anyone can point me to a supplier. I called Wolff and they have nothing over 9 pounds and they were not surprised about the consistent light strikes.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
You can remove the spring, lay it on a hard, flat surface, place a rod (I like a brass brazing rod) between the coils @ one end & roll it to the other end. This will lengthen & strengthen it a bit each time. You can also do an action job smoothing out the bearing surfaces on the action parts to reduce friction (this is the proper way to do an action job, not a lighter spring).

Reactions: Nomadmax

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Stretching the spring like that sounds reasonable. I am curious as to why Wolff doesn't create stronger springs knowing the chronic light strike issues relative to Smith 22 long rifle revolvers. I guess I am the odd one looking for a stronger spring rather then looking for a light trigger pull.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
Could be hard primers as well. Winchester primers have especially hard cups. Federals are the softest fol,lowed by CCI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 22 long rifle rim fire so no primers. I do notice that CCI ammo has harder brass then Federal when measuring firing pin penetration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts