Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a .38 S&W Iver Johnson Third Model Safety Hammerless dating to 1910.
It was handed down to me when my grandfather passed. He had it for many years
and I don't think he was the original owner, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if
there's a resource out there to get the history on this gun, sorta like the Jinx letter
for Smiths? If possible I would like to get a little more 4-1-1 on this old gun. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Iver Johnson changed the hands of ownership , location and direction in the mid 70's then ceased to exist in about 1993. They never were big on keeping or relating records on where guns shipped or who received them.
Bill Goforth was the last person I know of that did research and studied the brand. He also has gone to the great "gunshow in the sky". He wrote a book that has the most info on Iver Johnson ever put in one place.
Tracking down the history of an specific gun is probably gonna be impossible.
Best to just relish and enshrine whatever tales your Dad or Grandad told,,,,, That will be as good as it gets.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iver Johnson changed hands and ownership in the mid 70's then ceased to exist in about 1993. They never were big on keeping or relating records on where guns shipped or who received them.
Bill Goforth was the last person I know of that did research and studied the brand. He also has gone to the great "gunshow in the sky". He wrote a book that has the most info on Iver Johnson ever put in one place.
Tracking down the history of an specific gun is probably gonna be impossible.
Best to just relish and enshrine whatever tales your Dad or Grandad told,,,,, That will be as good as it gets.
I have heard of Bill Goforth and thought this might be the case
but I had to ask anyway. The only thing I know about the family
history of it is that it was a home defense gun many years ago.
Thanx for your reply.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

1 - 3 of 3 Posts