Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i want you all to know that i speak of this from a professional perspective . 40 years in Law enforcement and 30 years a Paramedic/EMT. My older brother is a M.D. Phd professor of medicine .

Today at the pharmacy i was waiting to pick up a script for for the wife. A lady in line said " Oh this whole things will blow over next week and we will be all fine ! "

THERE IS ONLY THREE WAYS THIS VIRUS PANDEMIC ENDS #1 They find a cure .. #2 They find a vaccine to prevent its spread. of #3 it dies out on its own accord due to environmental conditions that kills the virus that are not known to us at this time .

This is not going to be over any time soon. PERIOD . Even young people who have had the virus and are now " cured " have horrible lung scaring and lung damage. this virus attacks the lungs and causes
heavy pulmonary lung damage.

All we can do is everything to prevent the spread to ourselves. Keep any close personal contact to a minimum .. Extremely careful sanitation of all surfaces and extreme hand washing .

i hate to be the bearer of sad tidings but this is not going away anytime soon . We need to be honest and face the truth. Even the pharmacist at Walgreens agreed with my statement .

He smiled at me and said " you know way to much" and thanked my for my candor.

This is not meant to scare your but to prepare you. Honesty is the best policy.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
First i want you all to know that i speak of this from a professional perspective . 40 years in Law enforcement and 30 years a Paramedic/EMT. My older brother is a M.D. Phd professor of medicine .

Today at the pharmacy i was waiting to pick up a script for for the wife. A lady in line said " Oh this whole things will blow over next week and we will be all fine ! "

THERE IS ONLY THREE WAYS THIS VIRUS PANDEMIC ENDS #1 They find a cure .. #2 They find a vaccine to prevent its spread. of #3 it dies out on its own accord due to environmental conditions that kills the virus that are not known to us at this time .

This is not going to be over any time soon. PERIOD . Even young people who have had the virus and are now " cured " have horrible lung scaring and lung damage. this virus attacks the lungs and causes
heavy pulmonary lung damage.

All we can do is everything to prevent the spread to ourselves. Keep any close personal contact to a minimum .. Extremely careful sanitation of all surfaces and extreme hand washing .

i hate to be the bearer of sad tidings but this is not going away anytime soon . We need to be honest and face the truth. Even the pharmacist at Walgreens agreed with my statement .

He smiled at me and said " you know way to much" and thanked my for my candor.

This is not meant to scare your but to prepare you. Honesty is the best policy.

Just my opinion
People aren’t listening. I wish they would. :(

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I read an excerpt from a paper published in 2007 saying this virus was going to become a problem if the Chinese don’t stop eating exotic animals contaminated with it. But no, orange man bad.

https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts
How does antibody immunity work to stop the spread of such viruses?

What if it's already widespread in the American population, but the cases (like the vast majority) are either asymptomatic or mild enough to not be reported or tested? Only 7 percent of cases bad enough to test to date actually had Covid-19.

What if the lack of widespread testing has artificially skewed the disease progression numbers?

How does herd immunity figure in to the progression of this virus?

Corona class viruses are typically not "cured", but transmission declines as the population acquires immunity. A vaccine will tamp down the rate of infectious transmission, but not much more than avoiding sick people, cleaning your hands, sanitizing surfaces and the shorter life of the virus on warmer and more humid surfaces experienced during the summer.

An antibody to the virus has been identified (awaiting peer review) in Netherlands, but the investigators laugh at the idea of getting rich through licensing it to drug companies because virus transmission should be insignificant by the availability of derived drugs.

Let's all be safe, observe precautions, and revisit this in, say, mid July?

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
"This is not going to be over any time soon. PERIOD . Even young people who have had the virus and are now " cured " have horrible lung scaring and lung damage. this virus attacks the lungs and causes
heavy pulmonary lung damage."

Cured? There is NO CURE. They can get it again and the next time with decreased lung capacity and compromised immune systems, the next time may be the last time....

I keep telling everyone, the best defense is a good offense. Keep away from others (social distancing), wash your hands with soap and HOT water (better than hand sanatizer), keep your hands away from your face, eyes, nose and mouth, use latex gloves when pumping gas and using the keypad on the pump and handling currency, 2 of the most germ laden items you can come in contact with. I've been taking cash and putting it in the oven and cooking it at 200 degrees for 30 minutes, I know that sounds crazy but you get it, you'll wish you did what was prudent.

Especially of you are older or have underlying medical issues.

Let me tell you how you die with Covid19.... Your lungs fill with your bodily fluid and you literally drown slowly and while you do, your air sacs rupture so you start blowing blood too. Helluva way to go. Nothing medically can be done except giving comfort. Remember, no cure, no vaccine and the end result (with older folks and those with existing medical issues is...DEATH.

The stark reality of it. You can accept it and be proactive or blow it off, but if you contract it, you'll wish the hell you never got it.

Enough said. I know exactly where I stand on it and what my wife and I are doing. I want to live another day. The Lord gave me a second chance last year, I'm not gonna blow it being stupid.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
I wonder just how many folks on here, won't be here next year this time. I hope to be (barring another vacation...:D)

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Additionally, I will say that if you have no symptoms at all Don't get tested. It's not pleasant. I know, I've been tested but not for this, for something else. Basically, the test consists of inserting a cotton tipped swab up your nose and down your throat (remember everything is interconnected in your skull) and swabbing your upper throat. Imagine sticking a very long Q-Tip up your nose and getting a sample. Like I said, not pleasant and no need if you have no symptoms. Your medical provider will advise you if you should get it... If they say no, don't get it because.... Because you won't like it one bit.:D

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
It's interesting that so many are freaking out about this but nobody pays any mind to the 30 to 40 million flu infections and 30 to 50,000 flu deaths this year alone in just the US.
HMMMM.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
It's interesting that so many are freaking out about this but nobody pays any mind to the 30 to 40 million flu infections and 30 to 50,000 flu deaths this year alone in just the US.
HMMMM.
I still can’t figure that out. Both are bad. But one is the apocalypse, the other is ignored.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I still can’t figure that out. Both are bad. But one is the apocalypse, the other is ignored.
Exactly. The things don't add up.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Remember, no cure, no vaccine and the end result (with older folks and those with existing medical issues is...DEATH.
I've always assumed that's what's coming whatever I think or do. Having been at my father's side as he succumbed, slowly, to Alzheimer's, I know there are "end results" more unpleasant even then the "Chinese flu." (I love this Trumpism, because of the way it infuriates the PC police!) DEATH, in other words, is inevitable (unless I've been badly misinformed), but craziness is entirely optional. I don't mean to imply that exercising "reasonable precaution" equates to craziness--not at all, as I usually wear gloves while grocery shopping during the winter, & shun crowds & sick people like the plague, merely to avoid the good old "American flu," because (like most others) I never get flu shots. But going very much beyond that is where, in my opinion, the craziness begins, & I don't propose to go there.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You’re comparing apples to pumpkins. The flu doesn’t leave you with scarred lungs. This can tear you a new one and leave lasting damage. Then the flu will kill you next time you get it.
This is a scary thought - this is the first bioweapon to hit the US. This one is setting us up for the second pandemic which will be far more fatal because of the first one’s after effects.

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
Is know, its called spring. Corona viruses pop up every winter and die off every spring. That's the good news. The bad news is they pop up again come autumn. So around October they can pulls this BS "Pandemic" again.

17 million Americans have the flu and 12,000 have died.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
You’re comparing apples to pumpkins. The flu doesn’t leave you with scarred lungs. This can tear you a new one and leave lasting damage. Then the flu will kill you next time you get it.
This is a scary thought - this is the first bioweapon to hit the US. This one is setting us up for the second pandemic which will be far more fatal because of the first one’s after effects.
What percentage of Covid-19 cases result in that level of lung tissue damage?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts