Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's just lucky I had my camera and not my .22!

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here in this part of NY, red squirrels are a horrible pest. They also hurt the local gray squirrel popuation. Grays are bigger, but the reds (pine squirrels) are much more agressive, they won't kill gray squirrels, but they will castrate them. Reds also kill baby songbirds in the spring. Here we use them to make sure our guns are sighted in. We don't get alot of woodchucks in the woods, so we use these things.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
David, I pulled my post because I misread what was in the photo. My eyes were playing tricks on me and I thought it was a pic of a dove. If you look close there is a branch or something that looks like a bird's tail behind that critter. My bad. :oops:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
A bunch of years ago there was a 50 cent bounty on red squirrels where my parents lived in Wisconsin. The money was actually paid by a guy who used the tail hairs to make fine artist paint brushes.

My best friend and I went off in the woods with our Marlin lever action .22's. We both got two each with iron sights (head shots too) at around 100 feet each time. Very fun.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello David
You bring back a memory flood with your Post & Picture. As a Teenager in Up-State New York, I used to carry my Ithaca Model 37 Pump shotgun in a soft case on The School Bus in the Morning when I Boarded it. {Try That stunt Today} :roll: My Bus driver who was also a local Dairy Farmer would let me off at the top of the Hill, which was a Dirt road behind our house on the return trip home. I would walk the edge of the woods down to the house and there was not many times I did not bag my Limit of Gray squirrels before getting to the house. :mrgreen: That was a Long time ago, and the High school I also went to would let all that wanted to, Fish Rainbow Trout on April First as well. Lot's has changed from Back then as we used to sit at our School Lunch room Table and pass around our Favorite Pocket knives for other's to see, but if you tried any of these time honored things today, you would be in hand cuffs within 15 Minutes. Kind of sad to see what the world has turned into... kufO Thanks for sharing the Picture... Hammerdown

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
There is no end to, closed season on, or bag limit for Red Squirrels in Maine.

My boys and I once shot off over 50 of these destructive little buggers in one weekend when I had my farm. When my sons were very young, their first game taken was a red squirrel.

When I was a kid we used to sell the tails to Mepps in Wisconsin for $0.10 ea.

Mepps had an ad in the back of the Harding's Magazine, aka: "Fur-Fish-and Game" and they use the tail hairs to make the wonderful Mepps spinner baits.

Today, I see that Mepps still buys red Squirrel Tails...

http://www.mepps.com/squirrel_tail_program/payment.php

1 - 7 of 7 Posts